FOOD FOR THOUGHT Fax Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

koreyb

Reaction score
Fax Detection on incoming calls does not seem to route correctly.
In the Web GUI for incoming calls, Fax Detection is turned on, routed to a analog extension with a Fax Machine on it. SIP and Dahdi have the same results.
The logs show: "chan_sip.c: FAX CNG detected but no fax extension"
Only routing incoming calls to "announcements" seems to allow fax calls to be routed correctly.
This has been tested and confirmed with a fresh install, with only one trunk and one extension connected/setup.
Freepbx has confirmed this is not their issue.. sadly.

Attachments

• incoming settings.JPG
    incoming settings.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
We need more information to help you, the status screen so we can see what versions you are running is a great place to start helping us help you.

koreyb

Reaction score
Sorry... I should have included this.

I'm using PBX IN A FLASH 2.0.6.5.0 GREEN
ASTERISK 11.7
FREEPBX 2.11

I've tried with and without incredible PBX 11, and Incredible FAX 11 with the same results.

It worked in past versions with asterisk 1.8 and freepbx 2.11

The SIP line is shared for VOICE and FAX.

The setup worked prior to upgrading like this.

SIP LINE-->INCOMING SETTINGS---IVR->PHONES
|
--FAX DETECTED-->ANALOG ADAPTOR-->FAX MACHINE

Hope this describes things correctly

Reaction score
While I think about this problem I do have a question, if you are using SIP trunks why share a number with a FAX? Why not just have a number for fax that is routed to the fax adapter?

koreyb

Reaction score
While I think about this problem I do have a question, if you are using SIP trunks why share a number with a FAX? Why not just have a number for fax that is routed to the fax adapter?

Many reasons...

We are a small operation, and for the few fax calls we do get, although we do need a fax, we just can't justify a wasted number/line dedicated just to fax use, as most calls are voice. It also gives us 1 number for everything, so when giving numbers out, it actually makes it one stop shopping approach.

We have used this setup for years, without fail until moving to the latest version of PBX IN A FLASH/Asterisk. After some consulting with a friend of mine who also uses PBX IN A FLASH noticing he also has this issue, it lead us to think it was FREEPBX as the issue, but after a bug report with them, they have verified, it works with their setup just fine.

koreyb

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just installed Freepbx distro to test if Fax detection was working correctly, and it seems to. Freepbx's Distro is based on the same version of Asterisk (11.7) and Freepbx 2.11.0.16

The issue seems to be isolated with Pbx in a flash 2.0.6.5.0.

Can anyone with this version of PIAF also confirm this issue?

koreyb

Reaction score
Hi Ward/All

After working with Andrew Nagy at Freepbx, I think we may have discovered why fax detection is not working right...

Andrew had me run two CLI commands on PIAF and FREEPBX Distro.
amportal a context ext-fax and amportal a context ext-did-0002

Attached is what we found.

It would appear PIAF is missing some code. EXT-FAX is completely missing/blank while a important line about faxing is missing from the top of ext-did-0002 context

Freepbx Distro has fax detection working out of the box, so it's clearly an oversight on the PIAF variant.

Attachments

• piaf.txt
    1,023 bytes · Views: 23
  • freepbx distro.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 20

koreyb

Reaction score
I've installed this system from the disk from scratch now 5 times.. with the same results... including 2.0.6.4 and every time EXT-FAX was not there at all.

I've also tried with and without incredible pbx being installed.

Am I missing something on installation here? Do I need to run an additional process to get fax working?

I was asked to run module show like fax by freepbx support:

This is the result:

Module Description Use Count
app_fax.so Simple FAX Application 0
1 modules loaded

They think APP_FAX.so is causing the issue.

koreyb

Reaction score
After some thought, I've decided to just part ways with PIAF.. I think I will simply go with another distro that works out of the box the way I need it to. This being said, I think this issue should be looked at for future releases if you are going to support incoming fax detection..I wish you all the best of luck..

mbellot

Reaction score
I just checked a brand new, plain PIAF 2.0.6.4 system running FreePBX 2.11.0.16 and Asterisk 11, and I can confirm that the contexts [ext-fax] and [context ext-did-0002] are both set as they are supposed to be, that is they match the output provided in the previous post for the freepbx distro. I am not running incredible PBX or incredible Fax. Is it possible there are outstanding FreePBX updates to the PIAF system that might account for the difference you see? Both of these contexts are written and controlled by FreePBX, I can't think of anything inherent to PIAF that would modify them.

I checked my system (a bit out of date 2.11.0.11) with IncredibleFAX installed and I'm seeing the same empty [ext-fax] context.

I'll see if upgrading FreePBX fixes it later (I'm remote now and don't want to chance breaking something), but I can confirm what koreyb is seeing on his system.

The other context [ext-did-002] has a fair bit of stuff in it, I don't have time to pick through and find the differences.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
All my systems that has the fax configuration module enabled has the ext-fax context.
Those that do not have the fax configuration module enabled do not have the ext-fax context, enabling the module creates the context ext-fax

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
koreyb: First, we've never claimed that fax detection worked since the pre-Asterisk 1.8 days. In fact, we've said just the opposite... for years. Second, if it works by using an Announcement as the destination for incoming calls, then why not do it that way? All you need is a one-second recording of anything or nothing and then route the call as you normally would in the announcement context. Third, when you were working with FreePBX support, did you attempt to unload the module that they claimed was causing the problem. If so, what was the result??

koreyb

Reaction score
Ward, With all due respect, not everyone uses GOOGLE VOICE including us, due to the fact Canadian numbers are not available. Calls to the US numbers for most people in Canada cost more cash and they will refuse.

There also has never been 100% "THIS FEATURE WILL NOT WORK AND IS NOT SUPPORTED" mentioned anywhere. I would assume as it worked with my older PIAF system, based on asterisk 1.8, it would work with the new install based on asterisk 11. Maybe that makes me an idiot, or expecting too much.. who knows.. I simply have not been impressed with support on this issue and the finger pointing and lack of willingness to even research the issue. I would have been ok hearing simply we do not support this issue.

Freepbx support has actually went above and beyond trying to get to the bottom of it, within their limits, and to be frank, I would rather use a system I can trust that down the road when something gets changed, this feature isn't just going to quit working again. Freepbx Distro actually works perfectly for this feature and my needs.

As I said before, I wish you all the best of luck, but you have lost me as a customer for the foreseeable future. I may come back, at a later date to give PIAF another chance, but for this moment, it is what it is..

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to move you to Google Voice. I was simply noting that we've made clear that fax detection was a problem for a very long time. Not sure what the basis for your finger pointing and lack of willingness claims is. Looks like lots of people tried to help you only to be met by accusations that somebody was doing something evil just to irritate you. Probably worth noting that you didn't answer either of my two questions which is fine. But don't claim you can't get support when you're unwilling to provide specifics to help us get to the bottom of the problem. Glad you found a solution that works for you. Adios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.