GO HERE External FXO interface instead of internal PCI cards??

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
I have seen a few mentions over time regarding units from Grandstream (I think) and AudioCodes and others. I have always used the standard TDMxxx style internal cards to connect pots lines to the pbx. I really like the price and size of the Foxconn units mentioned alot on this forum and have used them in several installs. However, there are times when I need to connect in a few pots lines which forces me into some sort of larger unit that has 1 or more pci slots.

What do you folks recommend that would be price compatible and not take a degree in nuclear physics to configure?

arad85

Reaction score
I use a Patton 2 port SmartNode here - simply because it was the cheapest "branded" gateway. Sangnoma also do the Vega series. As to ease of configuration - hmm... The Patton isn't the easiest until you get your head around it, but it is pretty complete. Certainly the Pattons all share the same software so once you know how to configure one gateway, you can configure them all.

mbellot

Reaction score
I've used a couple older Cisco units (17xx series) because they are cheap now on ebay, but wouldn't recommend it unless you're familiar with Cisco or willing to spend several hours beating your head against a brick wall in an attempt to learn.

I had the luxury of doing it for my home system, so trial and error wasn't an issue.

All that said, they ARE great units once you get past the steep (and convoluted) learning curve.

jmcman

Guru
Reaction score
There are also the OBi110 devices... They are sometimes tricky to get working as well!

mbellot

Reaction score
You can also look at AudioCodes and a dozen other vendors and prices

Be very careful with Audiocodes... They offer several solutions that appear like a good solution for FXO, but are for failover only. I got burnt to the tune of $200 on a unit several years back and refuse to even consider them anymore because of the poor descriptions and documentation.

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
So long as you get the Audiocode MP-114 or MP-118 Mediapacks, you should be fine. I use them for my day job, but I haven't had the time to try them with PIAF. at least the FXO version. I have gotten the FXS versions to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.