NO JOY Extension holding on to IP address

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbee to the Asterisk and PIAF systems. In fact, I just set my second system up. I initially installed it, created trunks/calling routes and got a couple of extensions working at one office (a test setup basically) and then moved to installation to a second office where it will be permanently running. So my question may be basic, but I cannot find a solution.

I ran into issues where the extensions created at the first site where holding onto the IP addresses they originally connected with. The first office has an IP address system as 192.168.44.xxx. The second office has an IP address system of 192.168.1.xxx. The system would associate the extensions with the 192.168.44.xxx addresses. I tried a lot of things to get the system to "reset" or "forget" the original IP addresses. I factory reset the phones, deleted the extensions and rebuilt them at the 2nd office, and set everything to static IP addresses, but the extensions STILL held on the original address which prevented the phones from registering properly. I know they held on to the old IP address because that is the address that was listed under the Asterisk Info/SIP Info report. I specifically did not use any static IP addresses in the test system because I knew the IP address system was different at the 2nd location and didn't want to have to change IP address within the system.

I finally gave up and simply created new extensions using previously unused extension numbers and it immediately worked with the phones registering just fine. I tried looking through a couple of the conf files (like extension.conf), but didn't see anything that would lead me to where the original IP addresses were being stored.

Any ideas on how I can completely erase the originals extensions and get rid of all hint of the old IP addresses? I would like to be able to retain my original extension numbering system but need to "gain control" over the first couple of extensions that were created in the test environment.

Thanks!

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have no idea how that could happen. DHCP hands out the IP addresses which has nothing to do with the Asterisk system unless you turned on DHCP on the asterisk system somehow? What's in the allowed / denied IP in the extension configuration? 0.0.0.0 or something else?

jeffmac

Guru
Reaction score
Please look at the permit/deny rules in the extension page. These may have been populated with the IP address range of the first network when you installed (did you use Incredible PBX). Is that what you mean when you say the extension held on to an IP address? Or is there actually an IP address in the host= parameter?

Posting a screen shot of your problem may be helpful...

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.