FOOD FOR THOUGHT Existential doubt: install pbxiaf 5 (3CX) or stick with pbxiaf 3 (asterisk)

IT_Luke

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have always used pbxiaf since the initial versions up to 2.10 and have always found myself satisfied including the customization possibilities for templates and config files. I see that the latest version of pbxiaf has moved from Asterisk to 3CX since Oct 2016. My dilemma is if I should now use pbxiaf 5.5 for new setups (I have never tried 3CX though I know it is solid) or if I should keep using version 3 which still uses Asterisk (I see it is downloadable and updated from sourceforge) for ease of use. Any suggestions and heads up are appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. after the year has passed is the 3CX license still free?

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Ummm... if it ain't broke, its complete 100% open source with updates, and the ability to customize and hack .... why fix it? JMHO

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
To elaborate a little bit:
3CX free is a bit of a mess. Depending when you subscribe you may have had 4 channels, 8 channels, 16 channels, who knows. But, if you want video conference ability, 3CX is pretty slick. Once the year is up, I'm pretty sure it falls back to 4SC (Simultaneous calls), but not 100% sure as there are conflicting reports.
As for Wards IncrediblePBX, it is updated & current. Look for IncrediblePBX 13-13 on Nerdvittles. That will get you an Asterisk 13.26.0/FreePBX 13 system (as of last week at least). It's still the normal Ward build with all the addons, if you want them.

I hope that clears up your views a little bit. For me, I've tried both and the video conference ability wasn't enough to keep me on 3CX and I've come back to IncrediblePBX once again.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Some might argue semantics, but the FreePBX/Asterisk successor to PBXIAF3 is Incredible PBX. If you are happy with PBXIAF3 and want to maintain a free/open source distro but with a more updates, then Incredible PBX 13-13 is the option you want.

Loosely think of IPBX 13-13 Lean as analogous to what PBXIAF3 used to be and Full-Enchilada as adding on all the "Incredible" add-ons and features.

As you know, PBIXAF5+has no real connection to prior PBXIAF versions other than the name. I think the special PBXIAF5 free license reverts to the standard 3CX free license after a year. It still runs, but some features may cease working. SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT IF I AM WRONG. I know there have been some changes on this and I admittedly have not kept up.

That said, 3CX is a very impressive product. Definitely worth checking out.

phinphan

Reaction score
I run both an old version of PBXIAF from 6 years ago on Rentpbx and I have 3cx running in house for remote connections and the videoconferencing and webmeeting. The remote versions are outstanding. As I have a 4 sc license, it is not a limitation for how I use it. It is worth installing just for webmeeting and remote extensions. My wife, sister in law and daughter were travelling around Spain in the last 2 weeks and had simple one button connectivity through 3cx all over the country. Never missed a beat and never cost a cent.

IT_Luke

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback - I think I will go ahead an stick to PBXIAF/IncrediblePBX. One thing I noticed by reading up is that the OSS Endpoint Manager dev has ceased or at most it's stopped if I understood correctly. As I have used this a lot for Snom and Cisco SPA phones (even customizing the templates), what's your take on this? Is it still working even if stopped or should one consider some alternative?
Thanks again!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I use OSS EPM for Yealink and Grandstream

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.