SOLVED Error 6636

mattseymour

Reaction score
I popped into the office late last night and noticed the phones were unregistered. Checking the logs today there's a sea of ERROR [6636] netsock2.c

The server lost registration with the phones and all providers with errors, warnings and notices all 6366.this continued for about four hours before asterisk restarted as part of the backup script.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Reaction score
Yes I would guess your connection went down and Asterisk lost connection with your providers. This caused the error until Asterisk was restarted.

mattseymour

Reaction score
I suppose that's possible but asterisk seems to have lost connection with all external providers and all internal phones and been unable to reconnect despite trying for four hours. If it was a wan failure that wouldn't affect internal phones. We didn't suffer a power outage... Plus if it were a physical problem it shouldn't have taken an Asterisk restart to make things come good.

Reaction score
It will, when Asterisk loses internet or more specifically DNS services it croaks. I think this maybe fixed in the latest releases of Asterisk but I'm not sure. Depending on what you are running, this is most likely the reason why.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I suppose that's possible but asterisk seems to have lost connection with all external providers and all internal phones and been unable to reconnect despite trying for four hours. If it was a wan failure that wouldn't affect internal phones. We didn't suffer a power outage... Plus if it were a physical problem it shouldn't have taken an Asterisk restart to make things come good.

Yes it would; it's a well known bug in Asterisk that all phones go offline if your internet does under certain circumstances. There are some workarounds for it, search the forums hopefully they've survived the great crash of 2013 somewhere.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Use IP addresses instead of FQDNs for ALL providers and the problem will go away permanently.

mattseymour

Reaction score
I did a forum search, but the error I was seeing didn't turn up. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others.

billsimon

Reaction score
The number 6636 in those syslog lines isn't a defined error number, but rather the ID of the thread on your system experiencing the errors. That's why you weren't able to find anything pertinent when searching for 6636.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.