FOOD FOR THOUGHT Endpoints Can't Connect to Server

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I have a cloud based server and a client behind a sonicwall firewall (not my choice). The endpoints can connect but get timed out after a while.

What can I do to fix this (besides dropping the sonicwall).

Seems like there would be a timeout setting for the voip service but I don't use these and their it company is lost.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
If your endpoints are configured properly, and for example have register = 60 seconds, then it may very well be a router issue with perhaps SIP ALG enabled.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
They are grandstream phones. I never had to change anything but the sip server info. They will connect and take calls for a few mins then time out and show as not available in the cli.

Should that be enabled or disabled?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
On a router, almost always ... I disable SIP ALG .. I think I've only had one time when it actually helped.
I'd definitely look at your phones, registration expiration:

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
Mine are all set to 60. I was able to get a little longer time but upping the frequency but I dont want to have to have them reboot every so often. I'm waiting on the sonicwall password so I can set it to disabled.

Thanks for your help.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
By changing them from 60 to 1, all you are doing is sending a sip registration packet every minute. You won't have to reboot, and if you are losing registration every so often, more than likely this will fix your issue.

dhoppy

Reaction score
Did you change the NAT traversal to "Keep Alive"?It is under the network settings of each account.

dhoppy

Reaction score
When I have the issue you are describing, I change to "keep alive."

dhoppy

Reaction score
On the endpoint. In a Grandstream device see my attached image. On the server I set the extension to NAT MODE = Yes.

this is on the endpoint:

this is on the server:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.