wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Great read: Driving a Stake Through the Heart of POTS

bccStringAndACan.JPG

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky or extremely talented... I don't see those issues at all. On UPS I've never had an issue even with power outages.
Were you kidding about the "great read"? I'm not one who normally complains about spelling, but for Pete's sake if you are going to spell PSTN incorrectly, at least remain consistent.
That article just annoyed me, period.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Yeah. The photo tells you what the slant of the article was going to be. Always nice to hear where other folks are coming from once in a while. I think he's kinda forgotten who owns the PSTN franchise as well as the cellular market. Guess which one is more profitable? Guess which one they'd like to flush?

synack

Guru
Reaction score
One of the many failings of this article was the suggestion that the Internet wasn't capable of transporting voice. My correction there would be *HIS* Internet connection wasn't capable. Just like my copper pairs are so bad and noisy I had to go cable Internet. As someone who has fully converted over from POTS at home, my day job, my wife's business, and my home based business, I can say with certainty that VoIP is reliable.
Heck even my wife's aged parents are heavy VoIP users with no complaints. That says something!
I would even argue that the issues he wrote for VoIP (crossed lines, dropped calls, call quality etc) are just as much, if not more prevalent in POTS and Cellular.

We all keep a cell for mobility and "emergencies" and that does us just fine.
Is VoIP perfect? no, but none of them are.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my VoIP set-up at home (or at work!) for almost anything now. I went full VoIP at home in March 2011 after having run a mix of POTS and SIP for about two years. Doing so cut my phone-bill in half. I said "Good-bye!" (and "Good riddance!") to AT&T and haven't looked back. I guess I lucked out on the number I chose - I've had maybe three wrong numbers in four years and zero telemarketing/political/charity calls.

Sure, when the power is out, I have to rely on a UPS to keep the phones going, but that's a minor price to pay for the flexibilty of running a VoIP phone system. It doesn't happen as often as you would think. I have a bigger problem with Charter going down for no apparent reason more-so than the power going out. Besides, I was well-aware of some of the problems I was going to run into after a few years of testing (since late 2006).

You're going to have to pry that VoIP handset out of my cold, dead hands before I'll go back to POTS/PSTN! ;)

P.S. You guys should go back and read some of the FUD in the comment section of that "article".

Asher

Reaction score
POTS is great. During the 'Great Ice Storm" in Toronto a couple of years ago, I dug up an old handset and my phone service was never down. But how often does that happen?

I ditched POTS at home. I'm no longer wiling to pay $50/month for the privilege of being able to make one simultaneous phone call. in 2015, you still charge me extra for touch tone service? really?

The POTS suppliers have priced themselves out of the market.

The flexibility of VoIP is awesome. I have a US number so that my relatives can call me for free. I work from home, supporting offices in 3 different cities. for $3/month, I have a local number for each of them.

When I converted, I did not tell anybody. I'd been talking about it. About a month after the conversion, my wife asked me when we were going to move away from POTS. She had not noticed any difference.

If the author thinks his POTS conversations are never converted to VoIP anywhere in the network, he may want to re-educate himself about the technology.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.