SOLVED Does Incredpbx 02-05-2018 for Raspi need swap file?

atibs1

Reaction score
Hi,
I am preparing for installation at a customers location incredpbx 02-05-2018 for Raspi on a Pi 3B and in my web gui on the dashboard it is showing me a warning that "No Swap" is found. Message appears as:

"The swap space of your system is too low (102396 KB). You should have at least 200000 KB of swap space. This should be fixed as soon as possible. Once fixed issue a reload to remove this message"

Does this implimentation require a swap file or does it have enough memory to do without the swap file? Does anyone else encounter this error message? I expanded the card and pbxstatus shows 25gb and have rebooted the system multiple times.

Thanks,
Drew

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
You probably don't need swap space for a typical Raspi with a couple of phones, if you want to, then you should make it in /dev/shm, if you make it in the sd card, then expect a complete crash between the time you do that and some time in the future. The trick to using Raspi's is only write the absolutely critiacl data to the real file system, all logs and swap needs to be in ephemeral file space.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I haven't FPBX 13 on the Pi. Is this a FreePBX GUI generated message? If so, whoever thought the warning belongs there should be shot.

If the warning can't be disabled, just increase the size of the swap to 200M. Edit /etc/dphys-swapfile - change the value of "CONF_SWAPSIZE" to 202 and reboot.
@dicko is correct that you probably don't really need swap at all, but if FPBX is insisting I would not put it in /dev/shm, that's just wasting 200MB of ram. The system will swap very little (if any) in routine use. If it looks like it is wanting to swap, change the swappiness value to 0 or 1. If swap usage becomes an issue, then an RPi is probably not the best platform, at least not with SD based storage.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
That's the lovely bit about the shm it's 'shared memory' and if you dont use swap it wont either if you do then it won't 'wear out' your sd and your system is less likely to lockup. , if you don't care about the warnings, ignore them, don't do anything but then a rougue process can lock you up and if you pull the plug then . . . .

atibs1

Reaction score
Thank you for your insights jerrm and dicko. Error message is freepbx generated, appears in top left of dashboard under "system overview" I setup the second identical backup unit, following Ward instructions to the T, re downloading the source iso image, and got the exact same error message in the second unit. Have been deploying raspi's for years and they have always been bullet proof. Has anyone else had this same error message and has it effected reliability?

incredible pbx 02-05-2018 for Raspberry Pi 3B. Asterisk 13.19.0 + Gui ver. 13.0.120.10 running on raspberri pi 3B

SMTC

Reaction score
I hate looking at (and trying to ignore) error messages). So what is the verdict to do here? Just turning up new RASPI with GVSIP and that error is the first greeting on the Admin GUI, so what up @wardmundy ?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Did you try what @jerrm suggested??

If the warning can't be disabled, just increase the size of the swap to 200M. Edit /etc/dphys-swapfile - change the value of "CONF_SWAPSIZE" to 202 and reboot.

JoeOIVOV

Reaction score
This is the 2 commands to fix this.

Code:
sed -i 's|100|200|g' /etc/dphys-swapfile
/etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile restart

Last edited by a moderator:

patrick0525

Reaction score
This is the 2 commands to fix this.

Code:
sed -i 's|100|202|g' /etc/dphys-swapfile

I did this and /etc/dphys-swapfile "CONF_SWAPSIZE" points to 202 and did a reboot.
But the low swap message still appears? Why?

I also did the following:
root@incrediblepbx:~# cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i "free"
MemFree: 624172 kB
SwapFree: 206844 kB
CmaFree: 6800 kB

JoeOIVOV

Reaction score
Did you clear the error by clicking the little x on the upper right corner of the error itself, an it came back?

JoeOIVOV

Reaction score
Click the - sorry I thought it was an x

SmartSelect_20181005-072946_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181005-072739_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181005-072739_Samsung Internet.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 1

JoeOIVOV

Reaction score
I have been clicking on it and it still reappears whenI dod a refresh.

Well, before you clicked it. It said 5 days...

If it returns then rerun these commands.That's all... this does fix the error.

sed -i 's|100|200|g' /etc/dphys-swapfile

Inspect /etc/dphys-swapfile to ensure it says 200 or 202 instead of 100 for size

Run

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.