TIPS Disk almost full. Where to clean out files?

RoboLord

Reaction score
I have a 13-13 install on CentOS 6.9, running inside a Proxmox container. This one is used exclusively as a fax machine with Incredible Fax. I had 5 months of uptime without a single hiccup, then yesterday the PBX stopped answering calls.

I checked in the Hylafax front end and deleted a ton of old faxes. I rebooted and it worked for most of today then went down again. I just went into an SSH session and ran 'df' and found that /dev/sda2 is running at 88% full and /dev/sda1 is running 70% full.

I'm not sure if this would be enough to crash the system, however I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to go in and prune some log files and whatnot. Anyone have a suggestion on where to look for some low hanging fruit to clean up on these volumes? Thanks!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Good places to start:

/var/log
/var/log/asterisk

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
I remembered a script here somewhere that purges files created by call monitor;and which also are HDD killers. So I did a search for 'purge recordings' which throws up 4 posts here

Maybe when you know where your faxes are stored; that script could perhaps be a start point for a similar script for faxes?

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Faxes are stored in two places, hylafax keeps the ps in /var/spool/hylafax/*q

Avantfax keeps the pdf's in your web servers'documentroot/avantfax/faxes

A GUI thing, install ncdu and

ncdu /

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
We've added this to our routines that allows you to record all calls if you want, but still not run out of disk space, just purging the oldest audio recordings:

To crontab add:

# Purge Audio Recordings along with empty directories
5 5 * * * root /etc/purgeVCDR

runs daily at 5:05 am ... tweak to your liking

create a file in /etc/ called purgeVCDR - make sure its executable:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while (( `df /|/usr/bin/tail -1|/usr/bin/awk '{print $5'}|/bin/sed 's/\%//'` > 90 ))
do
/bin/rm -f `/bin/find /var/spool/asterisk/monitor/ -name "*.wav" -ls | /usr/bin/awk '{print $11'} | sort -n | /usr/bin/head -n 1`
cmd=$(/bin/find /var/spool/asterisk/monitor/ -name "*.wav" -ls | /usr/bin/awk '{print $11'} | sort -n | /usr/bin/head -n 1)
  if [ -z "$cmd" ]; then
    exit
  fi
done

find /var/spool/asterisk/monitor/ -empty -type d -delete
Note: Code is set to have at max 90% usage - tweak as desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.