Did pbx in a flash lock my network?

squirrelventure

Reaction score
I put a fresh copy of it on a amd x2 dell c521 machine. I setup everything, extensions worked great, however, after I setup the trunk (used same settings from a trixbox 2.x install) it acted weird, when I would try to dial out, the softphone would freeze and my network would lose connections to all of my pc's in my home (even my pda could not go to a site, signal was there but that was it). It is installed on a wired connection. Anyone have a simular problem? I have used trixbox for a while and have never had this problem before doing this. I turned off the pbx server and all went well, was able to access everything (the internet that is) again. Thanks!
chad

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Interesting. What network card is contained in the machine? An onboard network card or an outboard card? If it is onboard try dropping in a pci card like an rtl 8139 and see if you get the same problem. I have been finding on some machines that the onboard cards cause strange network problems under CentOs5 not necessarily because it is running Asterisk.

Tom

squirrelventure

Reaction score
it is onbooard realtek I think but will check. I have a linksys card I could put in it. I put my vista hd back in there and it booted up and has been running fine so I know it is not a hardware problem, at least not associated with windows.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
There are support issue with certain onboard nics and Centos 5 which are beyond anyones control. Generally if it is the one I am thinking of you have to install a driver from the manufacturer in order for it to actually work "reliably" Stick a card into the box and disable to onboard and see what happens.

Driver support seems to be a key issue preventing linux from killing windows and especially vista. (Although vista needs new hardware for a lot of things)

Tom

squirrelventure

Reaction score
well, this is what I have found out, I put trixbox 2.x on it and it has centos 4, it did the same thing, I looked at my router logs and whenever I dial a outside line, it actually resets my router!! Has anyone heard of this before? I can dial in house extensions all day long and have no problems. I was using a athlon xp box before, I think I will go back to it and see. I am pretty good with computers, but I don't know why it would reset my router unless it is geting choked up or something. I have a netgear 824 router. Thanks
chad

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

If this is ADSL, have you got a filter on the line.

Joe

squirrelventure

Reaction score
no this is on cable high speed. I do have a linksys spa2021 in front of the router, but I turn the settings off when I test the pbx box.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but it would appear that CentOS 5 thinks you have one type of NIC and you actually have another. Thus the OS is sending all sorts of garbage over the network that your router and other network devices don't know how to handle. Rather than corrupt your network, the devices are shutting down. Take Tom's advice and either use a separate NIC or install the correct drivers for your onboard NIC.

squirrelventure

Reaction score
Thanks ward, I will do that, I have one question, I forgot that there is a seperate wireless card in this computer as well. Do you think that could be the problem? I looked and it is using the onboard nic, but I will put a different network card in it. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.