TIPS Dell PowerEdge T20 Server

himala76

Reaction score
Hello Guys
Do anybody install (or can install) and test pbxinaflash on dell PowerEdge T20 server.
server is very cheap about $299.

Thanks
Himala

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the hardware, I don't see why not. If you're looking for something with ECC support, the high end of the line with the Xeon processor runs $539. All of them sport 2 PCIe x16 slots, a PCIe x1, and a PCI slot. Can ship with RHEL. Has Intel Chipset with Intel NIC. May be overkill depending on your deployment and uptime requirements.

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
Should work fine. I've installed PIAF on second user HP Proliant DL360 G3 servers and that works fine. No reason why the Dell should be any different. The Perc RAID controllers are supported under Centos.

GregKeys

Guru
Reaction score
Dell T110's have an issue where the ethernet port gets named em1 rather than the traditional eth0. This is annoying and causes issues with anyhrting looking for eth0 (like the freepbx status screen). If that happens withj this Dell server, here is the fix:
After install is complete the system will reboot.
Edit the file /etc/grub.conf
nano /etc/grub.conf
Add biosdevname=0 immediately above the splashimage statement
Save file (Ctrl O, enter, Ctrl X)

Rename /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 to ifcfg-eth0
mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Edit ifcfg-eth0
Nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
Change DEVICE="em1" to DEVICE="eth0"
Save file (Ctrl O, enter, Ctrl X)

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
reboot

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
its not dell, its a new convention because eth doesnt say which physical port it is.

people should leave it and file bugs for application that are not supporting the new convention. freepbx is an example.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Hyksos
Dell said:
The ‘biosdevname’ udev helper utility, developed by Dell and released under GPL, suggests new names to network interfaces based on their physical location in the system.

So, no, it's not just Dell, but it's been the same way for a long time in Linux, and Dell is one of the fist to implement because it was the mind behind it. I understand the problem they are trying to solve, but sometimes the medicine is worse than the ailment.

That being said, it's here to stay and likely to be more widely adopted in the future. You make a good point (the problems should be fixed, and software should not be designed to expect a port name), but it's not going to be updated in software as quickly as people would like either. Are you really arguing that people should just "leave it" until developers fix the applications? I don't know about most people, but that isn't an option for me.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
We're on the same page, my "leave it" was not literal ;0
I meant that instead of reverting the new convention, when an application is found to be broken because of that, maintainer of the app should be alerted to this new convention and the fact that the app should expect it.
Leave it and file a bug instead of hacking the convention out of the system.

But I don't think that's really critical, what else is broken in freepbx? The freepbx status page... is not really where I monitor my network in Linux.. :) Still my point is that instead of asking every dell owner to revert their interface name until they die... the app should be updated and that requires the opening of an issue for FreePBX.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.