GOOD NEWS DAHDi Module says installed in IncrediblePBX 13-13, but doesn't actually seem to be installed

domiflichi

Reaction score
This newbie is having issues with DAHDi. After I realized how much of a doofus I am by not seeing how easy it is to install the DAHDi Module, I installed it and it seems to have installed just fine. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be 'all there' (kind of like how I feel sometimes).

After installing it, I went to 'Connectivity --> DAHDi Config', and I got the expected screen, 'DAHDi Write Disabled Disclaimer', so I clicked on 'Enable' and it went away.

At the top of the page though in light red said:
DAHDi Doesn't appear to be running. Click the 'Restart DAHDi & Asterisk' button below
So I clicked the 'Reload Asterisk DAHDi Module', and it didn't seem to do/change anything. I figured I would do an 'amportal restart' at the command line:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ amportal restart

Please wait...

!!!!amportal is depreciated. Please use fwconsole!!!!
forwarding all commands to 'fwconsole'
Running Incredible PBX shutdown...

Shutting down Asterisk Gracefully. Will forcefully kill after 30 seconds.
Press C to Cancel
Press N to shut down NOW
[============================] 1 sec
DAHDI NOT FOUND [Suggest Uninstalling the Dahdi Configuration Module]!
Running Incredible PBX startup...
Running Asterisk pre from Dahdiconfig module
DAHDI NOT FOUND [Suggest Uninstalling the Dahdi Configuration Module]!
Starting Asterisk...
[============================] 1 sec
Asterisk Started
Running Asterisk post from Dahdiconfig module
WARNING: Always run Incredible PBX behind a secure hardware-based firewall.
What's up with 'DAHDI NOT FOUND'?

I went back to 'Module Admin', uninstalled the 'DAHDi Config' module, and then reinstalled it. Went back into the 'Connectivity --> DAHDi Config' page, and again I got the expected screen, 'DAHDi Write Disabled Disclaimer', so I clicked on 'Enable' and it went away...just like before. But, I still had the same message
at the top of the page though in light red said:
DAHDi Doesn't appear to be running. Click the 'Restart DAHDi & Asterisk' button below

Grrrr.

I tried running some DAHDi-related commands that I've been coming across searching the 'net:
'dahdi_genconf', 'dahdi_cfg', 'dahdi_scan', 'dahdi_hardware', but they all result in the same message:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ dahdi_genconf
-bash: dahdi_genconf: command not found

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Then I decided to see if the command even lived on the system:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ updatedb
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ locate dahdi_genconf
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/xpp/dahdi_genconf
Doesn't look like it, right? (Just the 'source') :(

So I tried the others:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ locate dahdi_cfg
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/dahdi_cfg.c
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/doc/dahdi_cfg.8
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ locate dahdi_scan
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/dahdi_scan.c
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/doc/dahdi_scan.8
/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/utests/scanset/1/dahdi_scan
/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/utests/scanset/1/dahdi_scan_get_fxo_ports
/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/utests/scanset/1/dahdi_scan_hardware
/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/utests/scanset/1/dahdi_scan_spans
root@IncrediblePBX:/home/asterisk $ locate dahdi_hardware
/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/tools/xpp/dahdi_hardware

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So in my non-professional opinion, I think that DAHDi is just not really there even though it says 'Enabled' in the status of 'Module Admin'. But I am no Linux pro so I could use some tips/direction/ideas.

I have restarted the system a few times.

Oh, this is on actual hardware, not on a VM. And I'm not sure if it matters, but I have tried the above things I described with my actual Digium analog cards installed and without.

IncrediblePBX 13-13 with all updates.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
it looks like you have the source in

/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/

but you need to 'make install' it from there

domiflichi

Reaction score
OK, it seems like I'm getting somewhere now, thanks! I did the 'make install' then 'make config'. Things went by too fast so I don't know if there were any issues or not. I rebooted the system after that, removed, re-added the DAHDi Config module.
But still when I do an 'amportal restart' I get the 'DAHDI NOT FOUND [Suggest Uninstalling the Dahdi Configuration Module]!' error.
At least now, when I do a 'dahdi_genconf', I actually get something:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:~ $ dahdi_genconf
Empty configuration -- no spans
/usr/sbin/dahdi_span_assignments: Missing '/sys/bus/dahdi_devices/devices' (DAHDI driver unloaded?)
Command failed (status=256): 'dahdi_span_assignments dumpconfig > /etc/dahdi/assigned-spans.conf' at /usr/local/share/perl5/Dahdi/Config/Gen/Assignedspans.pm line 40.
or a
'dahdi_cfg':
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:~ $ dahdi_cfg
dahdi_cfg: error while loading shared libraries: libtonezone.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Disclaimer - I'm running these commands arbitrarily - I don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to run, or in
what order, to get my cards configured.

This may be important now - this is all with no actual (physical) Digium cards installed (in the PC) because I can't put the cards in until after hours because they're currently in use in our production (running an old PiAF) machine...I'll try tomorrow morning with the cards installed and see what happens, unless I hear from someone saying it's another issue or I should try something else.

dicko

Reaction score
libtonezone is part of dahdi_tools, it might be best to wait until you have some hardware to work with.

domiflichi

Reaction score
Oh boy, I feel like I'm going down a rabbit hole now. I've been trying different things but don't really know what it all means, so I'll try to just list what I've been doing and the results and hopefully someone can shed some light because I am seriously in the dark here.

So when I booted back up with my 2 cards installed and went to Connectivity --> DAHDi Config, I got a full page of PHP/HTML-type errors. Screenshot files:

(The error was longer than what fit on the page in 1 screen, so I scrolled down, got another screenshot, scrolled down, got the last of the screenshot, so that's why there are 3 different screenshot files.)
Screenshot #1 - http://64.85.235.200/images/misc/IncrediblePBX13-13DAHDiConfigWithCardsInstalled-1.png
Screenshot #2 - http://64.85.235.200/images/misc/IncrediblePBX13-13DAHDiConfigWithCardsInstalled-2.png
Screenshot #3 - http://64.85.235.200/images/misc/IncrediblePBX13-13DAHDiConfigWithCardsInstalled-3.png
(Images are safe)

I tried uninstalling the DAHDi Config Module, but I got similar (or the same?) PHP/HTML errors and it didn't actually uninstall it.
Tried an 'amportal restart' at the command line, and got same errors as I've been getting the last few days:
‘DAHDi NOT FOUND! [Suggest uninstalling the DAHDi Configuration Module]!’

Shut down the system, removed the cards, booted back up , was able to remove the DAHDi Config Module successfully (no web page errors or anything).
Shut down the system again, re-installed the cards, booted back up, tried to install the DAHDi Config Module and got the PHP/HTML errors again. I've been doing all of this in Firefox, so I gave it a try in Chrome next. Instead of giving all those errors on the entire page, it gave me similar looking errors in just the little pop-up window instead. Then once again, I shut down the system, removed the cards, booted back up, tried to install the DAHDi Config Module, no problem.
In case you're wondering why I kept doing the same thing over and over is I wanted to make sure that:
a) The web page errors wasn't just a fluke
b) The web page errors wasn't 'permanent'
c) The web page errors weren't caused by me not having the cards inserted properly

At this point I ran out of time, so had to wait to continue the next day.

Next day:

First I tried booting up with just 1 of the cards in what I'll call PCI slot #1 (there's 2 available on the motherboard). I'll just call it my 'old' card as it is the older of the 2. Well, it seemed to have booted up because I could use PuTTY to log into it as I've been doing all this time, but the 'console' monitor had an endless stream of error messages. Screenshot below:

Photo of console monitor - http://64.85.235.200/images/misc/IncrediblePBX13-13-ConsoleWithOldCardInOneOfThePCISlotsByItself.jpg

Anyway, so then with a remote PuTTY terminal:
Tried a 'dahdi_scan', the output:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:~ $ dahdi_scan
[1]
active=yes
alarms=UNCONFIGURED
description=Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5
name=WCTDM/4
manufacturer=Digium
devicetype=Wildcard TDM400P REV I
location=PCI Bus 03 Slot 01
basechan=1
totchans=4
irq=0
type=analog
port=1,none
port=2,none
port=3,FXO
port=4,FXO

Tried a 'dahdi_hardware', the output:
Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:~ $ dahdi_hardware
pci:0000:03:00.0     wctdm+       e159:0001 Wildcard TDM400P REV I

Doing an 'amportal restart' resulted in the same errors as always.

Then I shut down the server, moved the card to the other PCI slot, slot #2 (which appears to coincidentally correspond to how 'dahdi_scan' sees it as you'll see below), booted up, and didn't get any errors at the console this time. When I did the 'amportal restart' though, same errors as usual. I went to try and uninstall the DAHDi Config Module, got the same web page errors (well, I don't know if they were the exact same, but looked the same generally).

Tried a 'dahdi_scan', the output:
Code:
[1]
active=yes
alarms=UNCONFIGURED
description=Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5
name=WCTDM/4
manufacturer=Digium
devicetype=Wildcard TDM400P REV I
location=PCI Bus 03 Slot 02
basechan=1
totchans=4
irq=0
type=analog
port=1,none
port=2,none
port=3,FXO
port=4,FXO

Tried a 'dahdi_hardware', the output:
Code:
pci:0000:03:01.0     wctdm+       e159:0001 Wildcard TDM400P REV I

Next, the new card:

Shut down the system, removed the 'old' card, installed the 'new' card into Slot #1, booted up. Did not get any errors at the console.

Tried to remove the DAHDi Config Module, this time it worked.
Tried to install the DAHDi Config Module, worked also.

'dahdi_scan' had weird results this time:
Code:
Unable to open /dev/dahdi/ctl: No such file or directory

'dahdi_hardware' also weird results:
Code:

Shut down system, moved the 'new' card into Slot #2, booted up. No errors at the console.

Tried to uninstall the DAHDi Config Module, same web page errors.

'dahdi_scan':
Code:
[1]
active=yes
alarms=UNCONFIGURED
description=Wildcard TDM410P
name=WCTDM/0
manufacturer=Digium
devicetype=Wildcard TDM410P
location=PCI Bus 03 Slot 01
basechan=1
totchans=4
irq=0
type=analog
port=1,FXO
port=2,FXO
port=3,FXO
port=4,FXO

'dahdi_hardware':
Code:
pci:0000:03:00.0     wctdm24xxp+  d161:8005 Wildcard TDM410P

I don't really know where to go next, or how to approach this.

Both cards seem to work just fine in our existing system.

The new system is brand new, I built it. Main parts:
Supermicro X11SAE-F motherboard
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz CPU
Crucial memory, 4GB
Seasonic G-550 550W Power Supply

I'm irritated at myself over here because I don't know Linux well enough to troubleshoot this better. Or even if it's a Linux issue or not.

I was thinking - if nobody has any ideas, should I maybe just reinstall the entire IncrediblePBX 13-13 with both cards installed? The reason I didn't do this originally is because the cards are in our production system. I would have to try this on a weekend which is not ideal of course. But if it's the best thing to try next, I definitely will.

dicko

Reaction score
Personally, I can't help you with the FreePBX Dahdi "helper" module as I have never found it to be helpful :) but once you resolve your pci slot problems, maybe just clean contacts and reinsert, then the good old fashioned recipes for setting up both dahdi as a channel driver and the necessary mappings into Asterisk channels and groups is all you need to do, and you only need to do it once. (i.e. delete any dahdi like modules in FreePBX)

domiflichi

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't even think to check and see if there even was a manual. I'll take a look!

domiflichi

Reaction score
So as an update, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: Not long after my last post, I got my one (newer) card working! Got green lights on the 4 ports, was able to make/receive calls successfully

Bad news: I was not able to finish the system because I did not have the time to configure the rest of the system. Fast forward to this month (2/2019) and I've picked back up on this project, but decided to blow the whole thing away and start from scratch. Maybe that was my first mistake...let me explain.

I used the same Incredible PBX 13-13 DVD I used last year to install the 'Whole Enchilada' fresh. Ran all the updates it wanted. Did a bunch of configuring (extensions, etc.), then attempted to set up DAHDi:

1. Went to /usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-3.0.0+3.0.0 directory
2. Ran make install
3. Ran make config (this came back and said 'Nothing to be done for 'config'' though)
4. Rebooted
5. Ran yum install libopen*
6. Shut down system
7. Installed analog Digium card into PCI slot
8. Booted up server (no green lights next to the RJ11 ports on the card)
(I'm pretty sure there should've been green lights at this point)

Since I'm pretty sure something is wrong at this point, I ran several commands (not necessarily in the following order)

Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/etc/asterisk $ dahdi_genconf
Empty configuration -- no spans
/usr/sbin/dahdi_span_assignments: Missing '/sys/bus/dahdi_devices/devices' (DAHDI driver unloaded?)
Command failed (status=256): 'dahdi_span_assignments dumpconfig > /etc/dahdi/assigned-spans.conf' at /usr/local/share/perl5/Dahdi/Config/Gen/Assignedspans.pm line 40.

Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/etc/asterisk $ dahdi_cfg
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/dahdi/system.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/dahdi/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/etc/asterisk $ dahdi_scan
Unable to open /dev/dahdi/ctl: No such file or directory

Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/etc/asterisk $ dahdi_hardware
pci:0000:03:01.0     wctdm24xxp-  d161:8005 Wildcard TDM410P

Code:
root@IncrediblePBX:/etc/asterisk $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Thermal subsystem (rev 31)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 31)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 31)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #1 (rev 31)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H KT Redirection (rev 31)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev f1)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM (rev 31)
01:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
02:00.0 PCI bridge: Tundra Semiconductor Corp. Device 8113 (rev 01)
03:01.0 Ethernet controller: Digium, Inc. Wildcard TDM410 4-port analog card (rev 11)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
05:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 30)

One thing I noticed that's different, is that the version of DAHDi is different than it was last year. Last year when I did it, it was:
2.11.1 because I have in my notes that I went into /usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1 and did the make install.

It seems like the OS is seeing the card, but the drivers just aren't loading for some reason? I only know enough to be dangerous here, so I'm hoping someone can help out a bit.

Did my card go bad in the past year? Maybe I should just ditch the card and buy another Sangoma Vega 60G Gateway and not deal with internal cards anymore. I don't know.

Thanks!

domiflichi

Reaction score
OK, I gave up. The DAHDi card beat me.

I ordered another Sangoma Vega 60G Gateway this morning, so I'm ditching the card.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I've found the same, it's much easier to deal with a standalone device then something connected to the host server. Also gives you a world of options in network configuration.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Your problem may be that the version of the Linux kernel on your hardware is not supported by DAHDI.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Another problem may simply be DAHDI. I have a (I think) TDM800P with hardware EC card. Support for this card was REMOVED in DAHDI 3.0; to use it, I had to recompile from 2.X and then recompile Asterisk. This caused all sorts of problems.

Rather than 'back install' the correct, old version of DAHDI, I edited the install script for 13-13 so that it brought in the last 2.9.2 and ran the install from there.

I bailed for other reasons, but it was making calls.

So, check to see if support for your card was removed.

It seems stupid to remove support for working, mature hardware - how many analog cards get sold new these days?

Andrew

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@domiflichi @tbrummell

If one of you gets a chance, could you try your old DAHDI card with the latest Incredible PBX 13-13.10 CentOS installer or the Incredible PBX 13-13 ISO. We've dropped back to an earlier kernel and earlier release of DAHDI which should now work, and the ISO will get you an even older kernel. I don't have a card at the moment to test. Many thanks.

Code:
antlet16*CLI> core show channeltype dahdi
-- Info about channel driver: DAHDI --
  Device State: yes
    Indication: yes
     Transfer : no
  Capabilities: (slin|ulaw|alaw)
   Digit Begin: yes
     Digit End: yes
    Send HTML : no
 Image Support: no
  Text Support: yes
antlet16*CLI> dahdi show channels
   Chan Extension       Context         Language   MOH Interpret        Blocked    In Service Description                   
 pseudo                 default                    default                         Yes                                     
antlet16*CLI> dahdi show status
Description                              Alarms  IRQ    bpviol CRC    Fra Codi Options  LBO

Last edited:

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Both cards seem to work just fine in our existing system.

The new system is brand new, I built it. Main parts:
Supermicro X11SAE-F motherboard
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz CPU
Crucial memory, 4GB
Seasonic G-550 550W Power Supply

Are you sure that your cards and the slots you are trying to put them in are compatible ? PCI verses PCI Express-

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I have to bring up another physical server for our labs in the coming days, I'll give it a shot.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I have to bring up another physical server for our labs in the coming days, I'll give it a shot.

The ISO will actually give you an older kernel (SL 6.9) than what's in CentOS 6.10 these days so that might be the better choice just to see if this really is a "new kernel" problem as has been reported. We've turned off the installer's kernel updates with yum -y update until we can sort this out.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
So there is no confusion, got the download link for the ISO? Looking at Sourceforge and the 13-13 ISO there doesn't appear to be "new".
Code:
IncrediblePBX13-13.iso    2018-01-08

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.