QUESTION Curious behavior of NetGear router with phones

rchalk

Reaction score
I am using a NetGear Nighthawk router, and a couple of Aastra phones (6757i) with a remote server at RentPBX. When I try to connect a new phone, the phone refuses to log on to the server. However, if I restart the router, it will work fine. Also, phones which are already configured and connected will reconnect without any problems. I am using the old Aastra scripts to configure the phones, and that part seems to work fine.

Using a different router seems to not have this problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Ya the SIP ALG from Netgear has always been . . . quirky (most of them are). I've had better luck lately with the Linksys and ASUS gear but frankly I prefer to flash them with DD-WRT anyway when convenient . . .

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
I Second NetGear Nighthawk router firmware, memory leak so you need a reboot every 8 hours. A cheap $40 WAVLINK AC1200 Dual-Band has a limit of 10 ports per device Port Forwarding / Port Triggering , that is single ports, range entries not allowed. The two are not listed in supported devices for DD-WRT but the NetGear does have some images still trying to find something that works.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I have OpenWRT on my Nighthawk. It's working flawlessly with the PBX in the basement and my Yealink phones (both local and remote). It's running QOS, OpenVPN and a slew of other services.

Try flashing the router.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
How do you install pfsense on a netgear nighthawk router?

Andrew

hawk#1

Reaction score
I have had some of my netgear nighthawk routers for a couple of years and have have not had a single issue with any of them so far. There are multiple models of the netgear nighthawk series router and it would be nice if model numbers are used so we know which models to avoid. The nighthawk R7000 and R8000 are the two models that have years without issues. The model R9000 I have only had for a couple of months and have not had any problem with it so far.

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
Netgear N6700v3 and yes I have had other Netgear routers that were good. Netgear Forum has many posts of problems, my guess a turn over in the software department is a likely cause. My third router is working fine a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN with the Netgear N6700v3 in AP mode.

Last edited:

hawk#1

Reaction score
I agree that netgear routers a few years ago seemed to have a higher quality. I do know that DD-WRT was writing the firmware for netgear a few years back. I'm not sure who is doing it currently since there are more newer netgear models that DD-WRT does not support. I first started out using linksys routers for both myself and my customers and had constant connection issues. Then I started using netgear routers and all those connection issues disappeared and I am not getting any support calls for connection issues. Recently, I have also started using some of TP-Link's routers because they perform well and they frequently can be purchased at a lower price, so I may be replacing Netgear with TP-LinK.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.