SOLVED Cisco 7941 not registering

danb35

Reaction score
I have a Cisco 7941 that I had previously used under Incredible PBX on a Raspberry Pi. I had some difficulty getting it set up and running, but of course I didn't document what I'd done to get it to work. I've since moved and set up PIAF-Green under VirtualBox (status screen attached), and am trying to get this phone working again.

I have a t*f*t*p server running on my PIAF VM, and I have options 66 and 150 pointing to that address on my DHCP server. The phone is able to retrieve the .cnf.xml file. I've tried using the OSS endpoint manager to build a .cnf.xml file (and making a few changes), and I've also tried modifying the example in the Resources forum here. The modified EPM output seems to be having the best result so far, but it still isn't registering.

The phone is running SIP41.9-3-1SR2-1S firmware. It goes through its boot process, seems to get stuck on "Registering", and then reboots. Each cycle runs about 5 minutes. When I run the asterisk CLI (asterisk -vvvvvvvr), there is no output at all related to this device or extension 704. Web access is enabled on the phone, so I can get any of that information if necessary; I'm not including it here because I'm not sure what all is relevant, and I don't want to create a total wall of text.

Here is the .cnf.xml file I'm trying to use right now, with the password masked. The device does appear to be parsing this file, as it does set the date/time format and time zone as specified, and web access is enabled (which it had not been previously).
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<device>
        <deviceProtocol>SIP</deviceProtocol>
        <vendorConfig>
        <webAccess>0</webAccess>
        <sshAccess>0</sshAccess>
        <sshPort>22</sshPort>
        </vendorConfig>
        <sshUserId>root</sshUserId>
        <sshPassword>cisco</sshPassword>
        <devicePool>
                <dateTimeSetting>
                        <dateTemplate>M/D/Y</dateTemplate>
                        <timeZone>Eastern Standard/Daylight Time</timeZone>
                        <ntps>
                                  <ntp>
                                        <name>192.168.1.1</name>
                                        <ntpMode>Unicast</ntpMode>
                                </ntp>
                        </ntps>
                </dateTimeSetting>
                <callManagerGroup>
                        <members>
                                <member priority="0">
                                        <callManager>
                                                <processNodeName>192.168.1.194</processNodeName>
                                                <ports>
                                                          <sipPort>5060</sipPort>
                                                </ports>
                                        </callManager>
                                </member>
                        </members>
                </callManagerGroup>
        </devicePool>
        <sipProfile>
                <natEnabled></natEnabled>
                <natAddress></natAddress>
                <sipProxies>
                        <registerWithProxy>true</registerWithProxy>
                        <outboundProxy></outboundProxy>
                        <outboundProxyPort></outboundProxyPort>
                        <backupProxy>192.168.1.194</backupProxy>
                        <backupProxyPort>5060</backupProxyPort>
                </sipProxies>
                <preferredCodec>none</preferredCodec>
                <phoneLabel>Cisco 7940</phoneLabel>
                <sipLines>

<line button="1">
                                <featureID>9</featureID>
                                <featureLabel>704</featureLabel>
                                <proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>
                                <port>5060</port>
                                <name>704</name>
                                <authName>704</authName>
                                <authPassword>PASSWORD</authPassword>
                                <messageWaitingLampPolicy>3</messageWaitingLampPolicy>
                                <messagesNumber>*97</messagesNumber>
                        </line>

</sipLines>
                <dialTemplate>dialplan.xml</dialTemplate>
        </sipProfile>

<networkLocale>United_States</networkLocale><networkLocaleInfo><name>United_States</name><uid>64</uid><version>1.0.0.0-1</version></networkLocaleInfo>
</device>

These are the only status messages on the phone--they repeat every five minutes or so:
Code:
09:17:29 No Trust List Installed
09:18:00 SEP0017956C976B.cnf.xml(t*f*t*p)
09:19:15 Error Updating Locale
09:19:15 Error Updating Locale

...and here is the most recent "debug display" from the phone. I note the references to a 192.168.2.0 subnet, which is not correct.
Code:
08:43:31 SEP0017956C976B 192.168.2.150/24 192.168.2.254 CP-7941G 1 0 1 4 0 0 4095 192.168.1.194 -1 13600290144951360029312048 10 Sent:REGISTER sip:192.168.1.194 SIP/2.0 Cseq:121 REGISTER CallId:[email protected]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 34

danb35

Reaction score
Since the debug display was indicating addresses on the wrong subnet, and I didn't see anything in the settings with that subnet, I decided to try a factory reset of the phone. That worked--the phone is now registered and working.

Reaction score
All's well that ends well then, if you get stuck at any point with these handsets check out my posts in the resources section as I have put a lot of very comprehensive info that may help you out in the future including info how to get the directory key working with Asteridex, using Raspi as a doorbell on these phones and more.

danb35

Reaction score
I have checked out your posts in the resources section--they're very thorough and informative, thanks! Do you know if the presence patch is still required with Asterisk 11.10?

Reaction score
AFAIK yes you do, Asterisk has never been properly patched for Cisco handsets unfortunately. Some devs tried to get it pushed upstream but Cisco tends to be adopted either by either small systems (in other words small numbers) or large organisations who purchase Cisco CME software to manage it so I don't think there's much appetite for it to be adopted into Asterisk even though that would be great if it happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.