SOLVED Cell phone VM or OFF breaks ring group

Rob Traffie

Reaction score
Appreciate any thoughts anyone can share on my issue.

Install:
CentOS 7, Incredible PBX 13-13.3, Asterisk 13.21.1 install, behind a NAT, untangle firewall, static IP.

Setup:
The Customer Service (CS) team is two employees, call flow is to an IVR, press 2 for (CS)
Goes to ring group: Hunt (ring strategy), Destination if no answer: VM of extension 1002 (unavailable), mp3 attachment to shared (CS) distribution group
Two internal extensions & two cell phones (type and carrier, probably doesn't matter, but added just in case).
8885551212# . (iPhone, carrier = Sprint)
8885551313# (Android, carrier = Verizon)

Problem:
If either cell phone is dead, turned off, or has no cell signal, the call path will go straight to the cell phone voice mail - immediately w/o dialing any other line.
Sometimes, with both cell phones on and full signal, the cell phone VM will pick up, sometimes it works great???

Last edited:

kenn10

Reaction score
You must turn on "Confirm Calls" on the ring group page so the ring group does not get answered by the cell service when the phone is not available. When a call is sent off-site from the PBX via a trunk, the off-site number or cell phone will hear "You have an incoming call. Press "1" to connect...." The extensions on the local PBX will not be affected and will ring and answer normally. If the off-site cell phone does not press one to answer, the incoming call will not go to their voice mail but follow whatever no-answer setup you have programmed for the ring group. I believe you ring strategy for the ring group must be set to ringall or ringall-prim for Confirm Calls to work. I have an alternate solution below:

You might want to set up two more ring groups: For example, create ring group 2001 with ext. 1001 and their associated cell phone set to ringall-prim and create ring group 2002 with 1002 and the associated cell phone also set for ringall-prim. Be sure to set Confirm Calls to Yes for each of the new ring groups. Once the two new ring groups are created, remove all members from the original ring group and add the new ring groups you created.

Example of revised original ring group members
2001#
2002#

Leave the busy/no answer destination as VM for 1002 as it is.

Last edited:

Rob Traffie

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, I do see the Confirm Calls options (and yes it does say ringall in the tip)
The reason I have hunt set, is CS rep 1001's primary job is support, if he/she is not available on desk phone or cell, THEN calls roll to the backup CS rep 1002.

I guess the best way to fix this, is to create two new ring groups.
2001 is CS primary CS rep (desk and cell#)
Destination if no answer - Ring group 2002, backup CS rep
Destination if no answer - VM to shared mailbox.

Off to test...

Rob Traffie

Reaction score
That works great, thanks!
Fix is:
IVR, press 2 points to CS rep#1, ring group 1
Ring Group 1
8885551212#
ringall
Confirm Calls - Yes
Destination if no answer - Ring group 2

Ring Group 2
8885551313#
ringall
Confirm Calls - Yes
Destination if no answer - VM, Unavailable, mp3 to shared mailbox, create support ticket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.