NO JOY Can't get sendmail working.

Discussion in 'General' started by RoboLord, Jul 12, 2018.

1. RoboLord

RoboLord Member

I had a rock solid instance of IncrediblePBX going until a few months ago when all email from both the voicemails and from AvantFax just stopped arriving. It was a basic install on a Raspberry Pi. Thinking I screwed something up or the SD card got corrupted, I decided to try a fresh install on a different machine, however I had the same problem on the new install so I decided to dig a little deeper.

I tried sending a test email from the command line with sendmail and discovered that my ISP (Comcast) is rejecting my mail because it's coming from an invalid domain.

"reason: 550 5.1.0 <root@pbx.local> sender rejected : invalid sender domain"
    I read through a bunch of posts on this forum, some from 2008, some newer, and tried changing a lot of settings but never got it sorted out. Some of the suggestions relied on files that have changed names or moved locations. I've reached the point of asking for help.

I tested with telnet to see if port 25 is blocked, it is not.
    I changed /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to include comcast (DSsmtp.comcast.net), no luck, and no change to the error message.
    I edited my hosts file and, voicemail.conf, no change.

It seems like there is something simple I missed here and I can't understand why it used to work on my old machine and then just stopped.

Can anyone give an up to date guide for setting up email from a stock install? My details are IncrediblePBX13-13.iso running in a VM on Proxmox on a NUC. I have a 3CX install in another VM and it sends emails just fine. Thanks!

2. RoboLord

RoboLord Member

I did these steps beyond the initial install and was able to get rid of the error messages from Comcast and Gmail in "/var/spool/mail/root",

edit "/etc/hosts" file to add "domain.duckdns.org"
    edit "/etc/mail/sendmail.cf" to add "DSdomain.duckdns.org"
    edit "/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf" to add "serveremail=mailer@domain.duckdns.org"

the tutorial calls for editing "/etc/asterisk/vm_general.inc" but this file doesn't exist on my install
    the tutorial calls for running "setup-mail" but this command does not exist on my install

Error messages go away but mail still doesn't arrive. What else do I need to do? Here's the full readout from a sendmail test:

root@IncrediblePBX:~ $ echo "Subject: sendmail test" | sendmail -v info@domain.com

info@domain.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
    220 domain.duckdns.org ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.4/8.14.4; Thu, 12 Jul 2018 02:32:00 -0700
    >>> EHLO mobilityproject.duckdns.org
    250-domain.duckdns.org Hello domain.duckdns.org [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-8BITMIME
    250-SIZE
    250-DSN
    250-ETRN
    250-DELIVERBY
    250 HELP
    >>> MAIL From:<root@domain.duckdns.org> SIZE=23
    250 2.1.0 <root@domain.duckdns.org>... Sender ok
    >>> RCPT To:<info@domain.com>
    >>> DATA
    250 2.1.5 <info@domain.com>... Recipient ok
    354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
    >>> .
    250 2.0.0 w6C9W0G9027272 Message accepted for delivery
    info@domain.com... Sent (w6C9W0G9027272 Message accepted for delivery)
    Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
    >>> QUIT
    221 2.0.0 domain.duckdns.org closing connection​

#2 RoboLord, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. RoboLord

RoboLord Member

I finally made this work:

edit "/etc/hosts" file to add "domain.duckdns.org"
    edit "/etc/mail/sendmail.cf" to add "DSsmtp.comcast.net"
    edit "/etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf" to add "serveremail=mailer@domain.duckdns.org"