SOLVED Can't connect remote user; same phone works fine on old system.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
This is a case of NO way audio - he can't hear or be heard.

I have a PIAF Green machine with SIP only (PJSIP didn't exist) and one remote user with a Yealink phone.
I'm trying to set up a 16-15 to get some upgraded features.

PBX Green sits at 192.168.40.29
PBX 16-15 sits at 192.168.40.60

I turn one machine OFF and the other on for testing

My (OpenwRT) router sits behind a FIOS router. The FIOS router is forwarding 5060-5069, 5160, 10000-20000, the AIX port and my knock ports to the OpenWRT router. The OpenWRT router has port forwarding commands set for both machines. If I want to try to get the 16-15 machine working, i disable the port forwards to .29 and enable the same forwards to .60. I then turn the router off and on in case it gets confused.

I have his home IP whitelisted in TM3 for both systems.

I have him reboot his phone to test when I switch machines. He shows as registered on each (not at the same time) and can place or receive calls - just NO audio in either direction.

On the Green machine, he has two way audio - no problems of any kind.
On the 16-15 machine, he has NO audio (either way) regardless of whether i configure his extension as chan_sip with NAT or pjsip (which is supposed to handle that).

What might I look for to diagnose this? What might I be missing in my 16-15 config since he's otherwise working perfectly in Green?

Thanks

Andrew

dallas

Reaction score
So from what you say the problem will be with the firewalls or the 16-15 PBX. Take an ethernet trace on both systems and compare them. Look for differences in the SIP messages.
If you write out the tcpdump file to pcap format, Wireshark can find the call and display the signalling.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
From the tutorial...

Audio Issues with Incredible PBX 16-15

If you experience one-way or no audio on some calls, add your external IP address and LAN subnet in the GUI by navigating to Settings -> Asterisk SIP Settings. In the NAT Settings section, click Detect Network Settings. Click Submit and Apply Settings to save your changes.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Ward,

I've made the adjustment and he will try to make a call tomorrow when he is back. FIngers crossed.

Assuming this works, will the RPi directions (below) work to keep the IP updated? I don't want to make changes until I isolate and fix the current problem. The directions were for 13-13 and I'm using 16-15.

Raspberry Pi directions for IP updating in 13-13

cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/update-externip.tar.gz
tar zxvf update-externip.tar.gz
rm -f update-externip.tar.gz

in cron:
30 0 * * * root /root/update-externip > /dev/null 2>&1

I'd make the change and just try it, but I don't want to confuse problem 'A' with self inflicted problem 'B' if this shouldn't be expected to work correctly.

Thanks

Andrew

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
in cron:
FWIW That line when added to the file /etc/crontab
runs the /root/update-externip script, 30mins, past midnight, * * * by user 'root', and puts resulting error code to discard it.

that is" >> /dev/null 2>&1 redirects standard output (stdout) to /dev/null, which discards it.
If yours is a Dynamic IP you need to run it more often say every 5 minutes that would be
1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * root ......
Regards

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
shorten that with: */5 * * * * root /root/update-externip >> /dev/null 2>&1

this does the same 5 minutes, but looks cleaner. do */10 for every 10 minutes, IPs don't change THAT often, and all it means is if the thing does change the IP the phone would be out for no more than 10 minutes, unless this is "mission critical' 10 minutes is fine.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
one more in the crontab you should look for is /root/ipchecker -- this one goes through and checks your {name}.iptables files (mainly the ones for FQDN clients) for ip address changes.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Setting my IP in the SIP settings seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks all.

Andrew

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ward,

I've made the adjustment and he will try to make a call tomorrow when he is back. FIngers crossed.

Assuming this works, will the RPi directions (below) work to keep the IP updated? I don't want to make changes until I isolate and fix the current problem. The directions were for 13-13 and I'm using 16-15.

Raspberry Pi directions for IP updating in 13-13

cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/update-externip.tar.gz
tar zxvf update-externip.tar.gz
rm -f update-externip.tar.gz

in cron:

I'd make the change and just try it, but I don't want to confuse problem 'A' with self inflicted problem 'B' if this shouldn't be expected to work correctly.

Thanks

Andrew

Table structure has changed with CentOS 7 Incredible PBX 16-15. Here's the procedure AFTER you first set the external IP in Settings:SIP Settings:
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/update7-externip.tar.gz
tar zxvf update7-externip.tar.gz
rm -f update7-externip.tar.gz

in cron:

30 0 * * * root /root/update7-externip > /dev/null 2>&1

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
shorten that with: */5 * * * * root
I got this sequence "1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * from my DDNS update. They (freedns.afraid.org) programatically produce a crontab job line timings to suit their servers giving different starting second for the series but so that their servers are not hit by everyone all at the same time thus avoiding a self inflicted sort of ddos attack. :2guns:

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Just for edification, https://crontab.guru/

1/5 * * * * . . . .

is the same but cron jobs always run on the minute , prepend "sleep $((RANDOM % 60))&&" if you want to spread the love "minutely"

*/5 * * * * /bin/bash -c '(sleep $((RANDOM \% 300))&&/root/update7-externip > /dev/null 2>&1)'

Last edited:
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.