Can find ounboard NIC

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
This is a new one for me and I'm very very short of being a Linux guru. Just loaded up a box and all went fine but the nic card is not being recognized. I double check and it's enabled in the bios. I don't know the procedure on how to find a linux driver and load it like you would a Windows machine.

Many Thanks

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

The answer would depend on what chipset you have, I would suggest that you type lspci -v to discover if your card has been recognised by Linux, then google on the results that the command throws up in respect of the NIC.

Alternatively, drop an older NIC into a PCI slot and see if that works for you.

or, look at the manufacturers website, and see what that turns up.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life with Linux that some of the latest releases of hardware are not immediately supported, and some digging around the internet is required to get a solution.

Joe

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
thanks Joe, put it away for the night but will take your advice tomorrow

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
the MB is a Intel D945GCNL with built in integrated 10/100/1000 NIC.
The NIC is a Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Realtek RTL8111B-GR* device

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
I have the same realtek 8111b and it is not natively supported. I did find the drivers on the disk that came with the motherboard and managed to get it working for a short time but then it stopped. I recommend you drop in a pci network card such as a rtl8139 which I did with my development box. After turning off the onboad net card linux picked up the new one and it just works now 8^)

Tom

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.