TIPS Caller ID Passthrough on Voip.ms

Reaction score
I ran into a weird issue where my CID wasn't going through properly on my calls out Voip.ms (I'd seen it some before with follow me calls to my cell, and then saw it again when the house called my cell directly).

First I realized that the Caller ID Number setting in Voip.ms (Account Settings -> General -> CallerID Number) is an OVERRIDE setting and will replace whatever CID you send out.

Second, the Device Type (Account Settings -> Inbound Settings -> Device Type) needs to be set to "IP PBX Server, Asterisk, or Softswitch", otherwise without the CID setting it will pass the last 5 digits of your account username instead of the CID passed by PIAF (I presume this is because it doesn't expect a CID to be passed by a ATA or Softphone if the setting is set to that).

Hopefully this will help someone out that runs into the same issue.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.