Busy forwarding and Ringall ring groups

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
While I'm a noob as far as putting PIAF to work, I've been following Asterisk since the Asterisk@Home days. Thanks to Ward and the rest of the PIAF gang for putting together an easy-to-install package! I've unsuccessfully scoured the forums for insight into solving a configuration problem I'm experiencing.

My system consists of the PIAF box (of course), serviced by two PSTN (AT&T) lines, and two Vitelity VOIP lines with local numbers. The PIAF is equipped with two Digium TDM410 cards, (four FXO on one card, and four FXS on the other).

My house phone is a two-line cordless Panasonic with multiple two-line handsets, connected to a PAP2-NA, providing two extensions (201 and 202) to the cordless phones. Additionally, I have a couple of VOIP phones, softphone on my notebook computer, and analog phones connected to the TDM410 FXS ports in the PIAF. These phones are installed in the garage, my workroom, etc.

I've set a ring group (600) "ringall" to ring the extensions on incoming calls from all DIDs. This seems work, however the two-line Panasonic phone gets confused by simultaneous ringing on both of the lines, making it difficult to answer incoming calls.

I'd like the second extension (202, line 2) to ring on incoming calls only if extension (201, line 1) is in use. I'm successful setting up a separate ring group (601) that does this, containing the two extensions and using the "firstnotonphone" to ring the second line when the first extension is in use.

I'v thought that a 'virtual extension number' that always forwards to the 601 ring group could be added to the ringall (600) group, but I am unable to find an 'always forward' option in the extension setup.

How can I incorporate this special ring group, or the functions it defines, into my "ringall" group and not confuse the two-line phones?

Insight into what is probably an obvious solution would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you gurus out there!

Pete

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
lgaetz ... Thanks!

I wasn't aware of the "#" requirement to nest ring groups (or for its use with external numbers ... I'll be trying that next!). I didn't have success with the "first available" strategy, but found success using "first not on phone".

Good point about the CDR records, though I have no concern about CDR at this point - the configuration is for my home phones, and so far, I'm not billing anyone for phone calls.

Again, thanks for helping me out!

Pete

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
lagaetz ... again, thanks!

Now it seems that I've resolved the initial problem when the line (201) is in use but introduced a new complication. Digging deeper into the way it's working:

IF both of the lines are idle (201 and 202) and an incoming DID call is delivered to the ringall group (600, including the special ring group 601# with either the 'firstavailable' or 'firstonphone' strategy), the second ext (202) begins ringing a few seconds after the first line, resulting in ringing of both of the ext's and the same confusion as before.

The problem occurs with my primary house phone, a two-line cordless Panasonic connected to a PAP2-NA, supporting two extensions (201 and 202) to the multiple two-line handsets.

Maybe I'm confusing myself, here (and you?). It seems that the solution will be to ring the second extension (202) only if ext 201 is in use. Is there an option for that?

I do appreciate your help!
Pete

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
lgaetz ...

Confirmed: Ext 201 and 202 are not in the 600 ring group. They appear only in ring group 601, which is called from the 600 group as 601#. The "skip busy agents" option enabled in both ring groups appears to have resolved the ringing on both ext's problem ... a little more testing to confirm, but first couple of tests look (sound?) good!

And, until you're better paid, thank you so very much!

Pete

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.