R.I.P. best alternative with GVSIP dead?

mrfeh

Reaction score
Hello folks.

Even though google supposed killed off our use of gvsip in November, I've managed to keep my home phone service limping along with occasional changes to config files. However, sometime in the last few days they've changed something, and I can no longer get a SIP registration.

So, I'm ready to cave and purchase a device. Is the OBI200 still the best option, if I want to continue using google voice?

Thanks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's the only remaining option as far as I know.

Kimberly

Reaction score
You might want to wait a bit. Seems that Google is making changes with their new VoIP whatever WiFi, Hangout replacement BS. There are people reporting that their connection to Google Voice with their obi devices are failing to connect. Who knows what Google is up to; they say one thing and do another. Someone asked why Google would not inform PolyComm of any changes. Well, Google is a big arse of course. When you are god, you can do as you please.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
People ... Free is Great ... but when there is a true underlying cost (and there is when connecting to mobile or landlines) sooner or later someone will have to pay the piper. All of these companies sooner or later will make a business decision to monetize their now very large user base. Just keep that in mind. For the hobbyist, if that's good with you, that's fine. Otherwise, maybe look at some inexpensive options that do put a nickle in the owners pocket such as the good deal Ward has created with Vitelity. I think its just a couple of bucks a month, but would give you peace of mind that you're not going to have the rug pulled out from under you.

Kimberly

Reaction score
Google Voice is a strange creature; no one is quite sure what Google is planning. Google use to allow regular sip connections to Google Voice, then they dropped it, they purchased Gizmo and everyone thought that was going to be the way then Google abruptly ended Gizmo. All sip connections to Google Voice was blocked. I never understood the whole one way telephone; what good is having some telephone service that is only incoming? Oh, I got a call while I was in the loo and a voice message saying it is urgent, please call back. Damn, to call I have to use my regular phone.... sorts of negate the whole purpose of having a Google Voice telephone number. Maybe the idea with Google Voice, which Google purchased from Grand Station, was to somehow tie it to advertising; which has always been Google's main revenue stream. Then the whole Hang Out mess which didn't pan out along with G+. Google just never did get social media right.

On its own, there is no real value in Google Voice; mobile phone plans are fairly cheap these days. The value in Google Voice would only be if you had a cheap way to use it like you would any other VoIP service. Many ISPs are now offering bundle deals on television, internet, and phone service for around $100 a month. Then comes the agreement with PolyComm which turns Google Voice into a regular VoIP provider with PolyComm providing the devices. Not a bad deal, for one payment of around $70.00 you have lifetime free VoIP service through Google Voice. PolyComm was the only way to get true VoIP service with Google Voice because Google blocked any other connections to the GV servers.

Now what many don't realise is that Google does collect termination fees. However, calls have to be made. I wonder if the deal with PolyComm was to have a real VoIP service; web and phone apps does not make a real phone service. I have a feeling that Google does not want to be a real VoIP provider; which is why they never offered any sort of paid connection to GV; like in a bring your own ATA plan. I don't know the VoIP regulations; I am sure their are some. Also, remember if you are a telephone service provider, then the FCC regulations step in. I don't think GV is classified as a telephone service provider but I don't know the rules and regulations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.