QUESTION Basic Questions

JohnJohn

Reaction score
I am new to FreePBX and am of the trial by error philosophy. I have run into a few questions I would like some direction on and am hoping one of you is able to answer them.

(1) I first setup a trunk to my PBX and one phone. Everything seemed to work fine. I added another phone and then there were issues with service; primarily, incoming calls weren't coming in. I think I narrowed the problem to the fact that both of the devices were using or trying to use port 5060. I changed the port on each device to a random one and it seems to be working fine. Is this the best way to handle it? i.e., Whenever setting up a device, just pick a port from 1-65535? (Also, this is the same port as the one that shows up under Reports for registered peers, right?)
(2) I notice that in the advanced tab for any given extension, there's a field to enter a port; the default is 5060. I thought I would need to change this port to match up with the port selected under question one, but devices are still able to connect even with a different port. If the port need to be changed to a random one and then that extension need to connect through only that port?
(3) My SIP provider lets me forward calls to a SIP address or a SIP registration. What's the difference?
(4) Are calls from SIP providers typically charged or is there any cost? How about for forwarding calls such as in question 3, above?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.