Backup a Piaf box to a new Hard drive ?

Reaction score
Hi I have a question

What is the best way to backup or clone a hardrive with piaf to a new one in case of a disaster , so I could be able to pick up the new hard drive replace it and keep on running fast ?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Thanks for you answer Rossiv

But I was reading the post , and its not clear for me if it can clone the hard drive to install in a new one ?

Grillo

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
I use clonezilla and save an image of the hard-drive to my laptop. Clonezilla only saves the data that is used. A typical PiaF install only holds less than 10 GB.

dandy_don

Reaction score
Grillo,

My understanding is that the Incredible Backup/Restore still requires that one perform an install/reinstall of asterisk, then use the "restore" to bring in your particular configuration settings. This is useful if you need to place the restored settings onto a "new" server (one with different hardware).

However, if the server merely fails due to a bad hard drive, I would still prefer to have an actual clone of the hard drive as a spare -- this would get you back up right away by just swapping drives (assuming the remaining hardware was undamaged & unchanged).

I'll likely do both, make an incredible backup as well as a clone of the hard drive, once I can get skype & traveling man working.

Don

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
I have a lab of 8 servers (HP) each with hardware RAID mirroring. Each server is partitioned into 7 PiaF partitions so that each lab class boots to their own server. After I create the master image on the first server, I use clonezilla to clone the image for the other 7 systems. I save the image to my laptop and clone it to the other servers. Works like a hot damn.

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
Chalk up another for Clonezilla. I do a Clonezilla backup (less then 10 minutes) onto a flash drive any/every time I make an changes to our PBX.

-Greg

duggerd

Reaction score
I would use Clonezilla also (I use it as well) because it is fairly easy to use and it does the job right.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
What is everyones preferred method of using clonezilla?

Disk to disk? If so do you open up the system and stick another sata drive in, or attach a similar drive via ext. USB?

Or disk to image?

duggerd

Reaction score
I have do a disk to disk backup for my server every month. I have a SATA data and power cable sticking out of a slot of the top and plug a drive into that and back my server up. I do this because the box the backup is being is done on has to be up all the time and not be down. This is the fastest way I think this backup can be done om my boxes. You might have better luck with USB hard drives, or drive images.

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
What is everyones preferred method of using clonezilla?

Disk to disk? If so do you open up the system and stick another sata drive in, or attach a similar drive via ext. USB?

Or disk to image?

I do it over the network. Share a folder on my WinXP laptop, put a password on the share. Just a note, you do have to boot your server to the Clonezilla boot disk and work from there. The first time, it is pretty confusing as the terminology is vague. But after you get used to the terminology and accept the defaults it works. I would even test it using an old PC or server. You don't want to erase your main drive by accident.

I would verify that the backup works by restoring an image to a second backup hard-drive on the server. Remove the original hd and replace with a second. See if the second drive boots as expected.

Lots of people never check to see if their backups actually work. They find out at the worst time when they absolutely need them. :cryin:

Stewart

Guru
Reaction score
I do it disk to disk over USB. Doesn't take too long. I have problems going disk-to-image and then going image-to-disk. Just isn't successful for me. Disk-to-Disk always works for me.

Reaction score
I save as an image, and it has saved my bacon several times. I recently had a customer with a failing drive with no backup, I tried booting directly into clonzilla live disk, however the disk was too far gone and stopped with errors. However I was able to use clonezilla from within PartedMagic, still had allot of work to do to fix corrupted sectors, but I was surprised that I could run from within PartedMagic, but not directly.

http://partedmagic.com

blanchae, have you tried the clonzilla server version? from what I read you can clone up to 40 disk at once, that may work good for your test environment.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
I've used dd_rescue to recover failing hard disks into working, usuable images. This can be found on the freely-available System Rescue CD along with many other useful tools.

Same as above for some of the other recovery images, you must restore to an identical or larger hard disk. If going with a larger drive, it's easy to resize with gparted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.