TIPS Backing up / restoring / moving PIAF to new machine

imekul

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was asking about how to clone a PIAF installation from one computer to another.

Now I'm realizing that I don't need to necessarily clone my HD. I just want to move my entire PIAF installation from one computer to another, with slightly different hardware.

What would be the best way to do this? I tried cloning the drive (using Clonezilla and Acronis), and I also tried physically moving the old HD to the new computer. Neither of these worked. I got "Kernel panic" errors when starting up on the new computer.

I don't want to have to reconfigure anything if I don't have to, since I ended up making a lot of small changes here and there that I don't want to lose.

So what is the ideal way to move? Some sort of backup/restore?

It would be awesome if somehow I could move the entire installation -- extensions, recordings, settings, and all -- without too much difficulty.

Thanks!

arainero

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I think using rsync might work. It will sync your new box to reflect the same changes that your old box had. Just rsync the PBX folders.

(I am not a Linux expert. I do not know if PIAF is built to any specific hardware configuration when installed, if it is, then rsync will probably not work)

imekul

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually thought of something along the lines of rsync, but I also wasn't sure if that would do it, or if something more advanced needs to be done.

arainero

Reaction score
Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the FreePBX interface let you backup all of your configuration files including recordings and such? You could just make a backup and then restore that backup on your new machine. That would be your safest bet.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
New-Obama-Shirt-Vaporware.jpg

mvoip

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was asking about how to clone a PIAF installation from one computer to another.

Now I'm realizing that I don't need to necessarily clone my HD. I just want to move my entire PIAF installation from one computer to another, with slightly different hardware.

What would be the best way to do this? I tried cloning the drive (using Clonezilla and Acronis), and I also tried physically moving the old HD to the new computer. Neither of these worked. I got "Kernel panic" errors when starting up on the new computer.

I don't want to have to reconfigure anything if I don't have to, since I ended up making a lot of small changes here and there that I don't want to lose.

So what is the ideal way to move? Some sort of backup/restore?

It would be awesome if somehow I could move the entire installation -- extensions, recordings, settings, and all -- without too much difficulty.

Thanks!
I used to build my PIAF server in vmware, configure it and then use acronis (in vmware) to make an image. The image would then be restored on a physical machine. I did not have any problem with centos 5 but with centos 6, the asterisk would crash in physical machine. To solve this, I recompile asterisk in physical machine and everything works fine.
Before making acronis image from vmware, make sure you delete the following file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

otherwise restored image in physical machine would not find ethernet. this file will be recreated during boot-time in the physical machine.

Fala

Reaction score
I running PIAF1.7.5.6 (FreePBX Version 2.9.0.9) on an bootable 8 GB USB Stick, using an HP Thin Client (T5720) and I would like to make a backup of my entire install on the USB Thumb Drive. What are my best backup options so that if the Drive becomes corrupted in anyway, I can quickly restore the drive? I have a Pogoplug Pro and can also buy another 8 Gig Drive if required.

Also, if I did a clean install of one of the newer PIAF, can I backup the configuration files only and be able to apply them to the new install without have to go back and create the Inbound/Outbound call routes, Trunks, Extensions, etc.? Thx

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
What he meant is a new backup solution for the already released PIAF2 if my memory of forum threads serves me correctly.

imekul

Reaction score
Ah-hah. I gotcha.

Well, I think I did this successfully. Here's what I did:

Installed a fresh copy of PIAF (same version, 1.7.5.7) on my new machine, and I followed the guide at http://nerdvittles.com/?p=682 for Incredible Backup and Restore.

All seemed to work well, except some of my hand-edited configuration files, like fail2ban settings, iptables, and aliases, were not copied over. Fortunately I had access to the old files, so I just copied and pasted the info.

From what I can tell, though, everything is functioning! :) That wasn't too painful!

imekul

Reaction score
Oh no! I think I may have spoken too quickly.

When I tried to do my first orange-bar reload, I got an alert that there was an error.

When I go to the status, it shows:

retrieve_conf failed, config not applied

Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 255
Added 9 seconds ago
(freepbx.RCONFFAIL)
Argh! :-(

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
That is usually from a permission error. Now as to where that is....... who knows. Try running update-fixes and see if it corrects it beyond that....

Tom

imekul

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried that, and then retried applying the configuration changes, but got the same error.

Anything else you could think of for me to check?

Thanks!

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Nope all that code is archived now as PIAF 175X is in emergency security fix only mode.

Tom

imekul

Reaction score
Makes sense!

Any advice you would have on what to do? I still have the old machine in fine working order, so I can create another backup, or I can upgrade it, or... anything. Perhaps upgrade to PIAF 2 and redo the backup/restore?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
There is no real way of doing that plus Centos 6.2 might not run on older hardware.

Some have tried to use the freepbx backup facility and then restored to a similar version on a 2061 box with mixed results.

We dont support upgrades from 175x to 206x. Too much else to support these days. Unless you are running a couple hundred extensions and say 50 to 75 trunks it is just as easy to scrub and reinstall.

Good luck.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.