GO HERE AsteriskNOW 1.7 to PIAF/IncrediblePBX CentOS 7

Should I try to follow upgrade path or just rebuid?

• Total voters

FreeSoftwareServers

Reaction score
So I read this thread, and I wasn't sure to start a new thread or not, but due to the complex and ambitious plans I have I decided to start fresh.

We are currently running AsteriskNOW distro based of CentOS 5.7 with Asterisk 1.8 and FreePBX 2.9.

I'm looking to get us to CentOS 7 :p and looking for some advice.

1st off, am I crazy to even try to follow an upgrade path? Should I just resolve to building it from scratch? I've never built a VoIP system, so thats a little intimidating. Also we have custom modules and customizations I am not familiar with. (Nothing too crazy, but I didn't build this system, and who ever did seems to be long gone... hence the CentOS 5)

My theoretical plan is to get to FreePBX 2.11 on CentOS 5 (I think this is possible), then migrate via either incrediblebackup or FreePBX gui to FreePBX 2.11 on CentOS 6. Then I'm not really sure If I need to follow all the upgrade steps to get to latest CentOS 6.

There's a lot of upgrade scripts to run, and I just feel like its a lot to debug, it will never go smoothly! But perhaps to get to CentOS 7 I need to do something similar, get to a CentOS 6 PBX version that matches a version that is available in one of the PIAF/IncrediblePBX scripts that work on CentOS 7. (I still haven't gotten to try PIAF on CentOS 7 since I only have virtual ATM, but I have tried IncrediblePBX and it worked well!)

Not going to give to much more detail and leave it at that, but I am just looking for some general advice to hopefully help save me some of my precious time!

Note: The reason for CentOS 7 is that I will be building a HA Cluster using pcs/pcsd. I really love the advances made in CentOS 7 regarding PCS/PCSD and am not willing to really try to build it on 6. (I have already built it successfully in CentOS 7 with IncrediblePBX/Google Voice)

FreeSoftwareServers

Reaction score
doesn't really make me want to give back (to community/forum) when my first post goes completely unanswered... :(. I'm just going to have to try all combinations of possible ways to do it, just wish somebody have some advice like, I'd try this first based on my past experience...

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
@FreeSoftwareServers I have migrated a Freepbx 2.9 asterisk 1.8 centos 6 install to Freepbx 2.11 asterisk 11 centos 6.

not that difficult but easy to screw up, do you have a spare server to practice on?

FreeSoftwareServers

Reaction score
@hecatae , I have multiple spare servers, we are doing that correctly :p, we have a Primary, Backup + 2 new servers to set up. When you migrated, did you use the FreePBX Migration Tool or Incredible script?

Note: I am starting with CentOS 5 FPX 2.9 Asterisk 1.8. But yes, my current plan, since I cant even mess with backup server, is to migrate to PIAF Purple on CentOS 6 with FPX 2.9 Asterisk 1.8. I have both a GUI Tar and an Incredible tar one is like 2GBs and IncredibleTar is like 20GBS lol. But I plan to try them both.

My next jump is possibly, upgrade that CentOS 6 server to FreePBX 2.11 then try to migrate to CentOS 7 IncrediblePBX with
incrediblepbx11.4.centos.tar.gz , that changes the asterisk version though, but eventually thats going to have to happen, I do want to get on atleast Asterisk 11, probably IncrediblePBX 12, but I'd settle for 11. It has the same PBX version though, so I am hoping that jump will work. Not sure if I can jump to a higher version during migration, I usually try not to. I assume I can migrate to 2.11 on CentOS 7 and then upgrade just IncrediblePBX to 12, but again, that may not be needed, or worth the trouble.

We use t*f*t*p boot for our phones, but that can be manually set up, I will be using the current Primary IP as my new servers IP, so hopefully no configuration changes on Phones them-selves.

@wardmundy I am not really "new" I mean I have set up every version of PIAF/IncrediblePBX on a VM (w/ google voice and using a single VOIP Dect home phone), but I've never configured a SMB phone server, I'm hoping to migrate most of the configs and just do the migration/testing/debugging VS setting the whole thing up from scratch.

Also, the ISO from what I can tell, is only x32, I need x64 bit! And with all my customization (HA Cluster), I prefer to build on CentOS vs SL.

https://www.freesoftwareservers.com/index.php/2016/06/08/install-piaf-incrediblepbx-vmware-esxi/

on an unrelated note, the incrediblepbx11-12.2.centos.tar.gz on CentOS 7 used to work but now installation seems fine, but IncredibleGUI doesn't respond. (Kenusoft GUI does tho, and so does other things like PHPMin) but I am going to start a new thread for that possibly.

I'm wondering if some new package breaks the script? I am going to try again without upgrading all packages pre-script initialization.

Once I'm done, I'm hoping I can share my HA Configs!

FreeSoftwareServers

Reaction score
So I have gotten the system to CentOS 7 via Upgrading!

My Upgrade Path :

PIAF Purple on CentOS 6 (Thank you so much PIAF, I don't think you can find Asterisk 1.8 FreePBX 2.9 anywhere but on PIAF, and you basically just set the whole thing up for me!!!!)
Upgrade that to PBX 2.12 Asterisk 11.

Then I tried to move over to CentOS 7.

PIAF doesn't work on CentOS 7 (yet)
Tried restoring a backup to IncrediblePBX but it didn't like the fact I was restoring regular FreePBX. (Lots of little errors)
I decided to manually compile FreePBX 2.12 and Asterisk 11 on CentOS 7 because this allowed me to use Maria Galera Cluster 10.1

I have successfully exported out DB's and imported them on CentoS 7 with InnodDB using Maria Galera Cluster 10.1. But I have to do testing still, but regardless, my upgrade path is complete. Now for the fine tuning!!

The beauty of restoring from PIAF is I know how PhPMyAdmin and Sysinfo inside FreePBX which really helped me figure out Maria Galera Cluster. Thanks for the advice guys.

FreeSoftwareServers

Reaction score
well maria galera cluster failed, but everything is works great, just going to use DRBD. (I didn't spend to much time debugging Maria Galera... so don't let that be discouraging to anyone else, i just decided to go back to what I already figured out)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FYI: Incredible PBX doesn't use InnoDB databases at all. Too hard to back up and restore.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.