QUESTION Asterisk SIP notify?

KNERD

Reaction score
Since this is a friendly place, I thought i would ask here.

Looking at this nice lengthy article, titled Programmer’s Paradise: Introducing the VoIP Phone of the Year, Yealink’s T46G

I have a few of these T4xG line phones for playing around with. Looking at the documentation called "XML Browser Developer's Guide," I see there is a method to display text on the screen, just as shown in Ward Mundy's article.

So I had an idea for displaying messages on the phone, but the problem I saw is what is being shown is to do it, a button on the phone must be pushed. What if I wanted to display a message of my choosing, and when I wanted?

Looking more in the previous mention documentation, I see the phones can be told to initiate a provision cycle when a SIP NOTIFY is received. According to the docs, during the provisioning you can send the phone XML commands.

So comes the question, how to initiate this SIP notify? The Asterisk docs seem to be a little light in this area, and assume you are going to use it to reboot a phone.

Thanks!

Pj3CX

Reaction score
Hello there,
As far as I know the XML browser feature of the phones can't be triggered by a SIP Notify, you would give the path to an XML for provisioning in that Notify message body.
XML browser is triggered by a user action which you can configure on one of the BLFs through the phone interface for e.g.

KNERD

Reaction score
The Yealink documentation states otherwise.

2. Upload the configuration file to the root directory of the provisioning server.
3. Reference the configuration file in the boot file (e.g., y000000000000.boot).
Example:
include:config “http://10.2.1.158/HTTP Directory/y000000000044.cfg”
4. Upload the boot file to the root directory of the provisioning server.
5. Trigger IP phones to perform an auto provisioning for configuration update.

Upon receiving the XML SIP NOTIFY message, the phone will display the information or
execute the command contained in the NOTIFY message.

Example of a SIP Notify with the XML content:
yealink-SV7dSWLb.1482509185.JPG

yealink-SV7dSWLb.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to respond, though,

Last edited:

Pj3CX

Reaction score
I see that's an interesting feature, you can also have an XML Push server which sends HTTP Post requests with the phone listening to that. Actually that might be easier to implement than sending NOTIFY with valid SIP headers.

KNERD

Reaction score
The problem with the XML push from the server side is you have to know the IP addresses of the telephones., and in all cases, for me, the push server would not be on the server as the phones are registered to.

I just may have to go with a timed provision check.

chris_c_

Reaction score
Sounds like you're trying to do "Push Notifications" same as what we have in the wonderful world of smart phones.

Probably best way to do this, is with the XML Push message. Have the server which wants to send the Push notifcation, use ARI, the Asterisk REST Interface, to talk to the Asterisk PBX server, and tell Asterisk to send the XML Push message to the phone.

KNERD

Reaction score
Sounds like you're trying to do "Push Notifications" same as what we have in the wonderful world of smart phones.

Probably best way to do this, is with the XML Push message. Have the server which wants to send the Push notifcation, use ARI, the Asterisk REST Interface, to talk to the Asterisk PBX server, and tell Asterisk to send the XML Push message to the phone.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but as I mentioned before an IP address is require in order to do a PUSH Notify.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.