FOOD FOR THOUGHT Anyone tried Kimsufi / OVH / SoYouStart for VOIP? $6.99 for Dedicated Servers

Reaction score
Came across the Kimsufi website.

They are part of OVH (who claim to be the 3rd largest network in the world) and I believe pretty well regarded. These servers are a little more entry level compared to what they offer at OVH or SoYouStart but still very impressive.

For example, for $6.99 you get the following dedicated server in Canada
  • Processor: Atom™ N2800 @1.86 GHz+
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • HardDrive: 500 Gb
  • Network: 100mbps (unmetered)
In reading online, it seems that most people actually get better hardware than expected, most commonly a 1TB hard drive and sometimes even double the RAM or a better processor.

$6.99 is less than many spend on a VPS and this is a dedicated server in a top tier data center. Anyone have any experience using these for VOIP?

Some potential cons I see are:
  • Only 1 IPV4 Address. For my needs (home office PBX) this server is overkill so I'd love to break this up into a few VM's (1 for VOIP, 2-3 for misc sandboxes) however I think that 1 IPV4 address would make this challenging (if not impossible?) to do well
  • Hard Drive doesn't appear to be SSD
Thoughts?

howardsl2

Guru
Reaction score
From what I know, there are a few problems with Kimsufi servers:

1. Don't expect any support. Tickets can take weeks or even months to reply, if they ever get back to you.
2. Their lowest priced servers are always out of stock. Very difficult to get one unless you use a stock monitoring script. There are some websites that were established purely for this purpose.
3. Only one IP is allowed, and you will find that the OVH network is sometimes blocked by ISPs due to abuse issues.
4. If used for VoIP, consider the latency from the server to your users, and choose their Canada/France datacenter accordingly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.