R.I.P. Amerika the Beautiful

mbellot

Reaction score

The NSA disclosed that it gathers some 250 million internet communications each year, with some 9 percent from these "upstream" channels, amounting to between 20 million to 25 million emails a year. The agency used statistical analysis to estimate that of those, possibly as many as 56,000 Internet communications collected were sent by Americans or persons in the U.S. with no connection to terrorism.

So, of the 20-25 million emails collected "upstream" they are saying approximately 99.75% do have connections to terrorists?

With that much intercepted communication what is taking so long to find them?

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
Ward: Looks like you're on a one man campaign here! Check your SIP trunks and Internet connections. You never know who is closing in on you!!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
leemason: Not a fan of Big Brother... but I guess you figured that out. Just keeping the chronology for posterity. Haven't done this since the Watergate era. Will be fun to look back in a year or two. In the meantime, we've battened down the SIP hatches.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
In very amusing somewhat related news, I heard a radio advertisement for CSIS (the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, which I realize some Americans think is an oxymoron but let's move on) that they're hiring for IT professionals. Can you imagine recruiting for the NSA using radio ads? Seems very un-secretive to me.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
Interesting writeup

But he doesn't seem to get the sheer scale of the issue - you cannot trust any service provider that has any ties whatever with the United States.
That doesn't mean the truly offshore providers are any safer, just that anyone that can be gotten to by the US Gov't will be.

What price the whole system of certificates that SSL depends on, if they can suborn the root of the trusted hierarchy? For personal use, you can use self-signed certs (exclusively) but a) that doesn't scale and b) you have to have that root cert somewhere; any physical server is subject to seizure.
Other schemes have similar weaknesses.

But the real problem is that we don't trust the government. Even hard-core, right wing "America love it or leave it" types are floundering right now. It seems like no matter how bizarre the claim against the NSA et al., the news stories coming out are even wackier.

Not a happy camper right now.:nonod:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
BUwzmGiCcAATWEI.jpg

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
When on the speaking on the phone or composing emails do so in pig latin. That will throw them for a loop ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.