FOOD FOR THOUGHT allow incoming calls to ring indefinitely if no extension is available

noguru

Reaction score
I am trying to just monitor incoming calls (via the AMI interface) on Incredible/FreePBX. There are no VOIP-Extensions configured. Essentially, what I'm looking for is incoming route, that should NOT DO ANYTHING other than allow incoming calls to ring, but I could not find any such "Destination".
A ring-group or queue also does not do the job, because since no extension(s) is registered, they go to their destination (whatever that is), but don't allow the call to ring indefinitely.

A quick and dirty solution would be to write a soft phone (in perl, say) that is always registered, but never picks up any calls. But is there a more elegant solution to this?

Thanks for any hints.

billsimon

Reaction score
There is a target under "Terminate call" something like ring forever until caller hangs up. That might meet your needs.

Otherwise you could do a custom extension in Asterisk that just signals ringing and then waits a very long time.

Reaction score
That ring forever option is at the bottom of the incoming route screen. When you select terminate a new box will provide you with another set of options.

noguru

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers. The said Destination under "Terminate": "play ringtones to caller until they hangup" does actually hangup the incoming call immediately, but continues playing ring-tones to the caller. This behaviour does not leave any chance for any non-VOIP (in my case ISDN) extensions to pick up the call (since it was flagged as hung-up by asterisk).

As @billsimon pointed out, a "Custom Extension" with a very long wait-time worked for me. For anyone interested:
1) Edit /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf, add an extension "999 => wait(120)"
2) in the browser GUI: "Add Custom Extension"
3) in Applications: Add "Misc Destination", give it a name, say "just-ring-forever"
4) in the incoming route, set this as a "Misc Destination"

Reaction score
Shouldn't be answering. That relates to another setting where either you are asking asterisk to answer or asking it to provide ring back. Will double check later.

Reaction score
So... one setting on the inbound route is"Signal RINGING:" which will cause an answer. The other is "Asterisk Dial command options:" (small r) option generate a ringing tone for the calling party (which requires the trunk to be answered)

billsimon

Reaction score
Dont you think the 999 thing a bit unfortunate? I notice you didn't use 911.

The only thing unfortunate is that you've got an easy-to-misdial, easy-to-buttdial emergency number. I guess it makes about as much sense as variable-length area codes and variable-length subscriber numbers.

:tank:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Does your carrier allow 112 yet? I know you brexit'ed but it is a good idea, When I was young the phone directory and the Boy Scouts taught you how to dial 999 on a rotary dial phone in the smoke by feel, which is why it was chosen, it would take 3 seconds to do that, 112 takes less than one :) so hardly applicable anymore . . .

Last edited:

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
And just to make it really interesting, AT&T around here routes 999 to 911. As seen on a 'decomissioned' cell phone in the hands of a three year old.

dicko

Reaction score
Yes, most US cell phones "decomissioned" hardware can call in an emergency, we send our old cellphones to an organization that assists abused women and otherwise disadvantaged folks:-

http://www.securethecall.org/

That AT&T redirects 999 is interesting info, thanks

Last edited:

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Bizarrely on PSTN or POTS the 112 gets sent to 999.
On voip I registered my numbers some time ago with the 999 / 112 sipgate.co.uk
Just emailed them as I don't see that setting on the revised layout?

My dial plan converts 112 to 999, which is what BT expects providers to send to the PSAP.
I know 999 worked when I needed them. Sipgate do mention both numbers and as they're based in Germany that should work?

Seems to be plenty of providers not offering 112 or 999

Other service numbers no 101 police (mobiles and landlines only)
111 NHS non emergency (mobiles and landlines only)
116xxx (mobiles and landlines only)
etc. etc.

dicko

Reaction score

My dial plan converts 112 to 999, which is what BT expects providers to send to the PSAP.
I know 999 worked when I needed them. Sipgate do mention both numbers and as they're based in Germany that should work?

etc. etc.
hwew in thw US , there is a liability problem with emergency calls, VSP's need to be E911 c

etc. etc.
Hopefully:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_(emergency_telephone_number)

covers the whole concept for the UK, DE +26 and counting downwards

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

The only thing unfortunate is that you've got an easy-to-misdial, easy-to-buttdial emergency number. I guess it makes about as much sense as variable-length area codes and variable-length subscriber numbers.

The history of 999 in the UK was to avoid accidental misdials caused by the two wires of the telephone circuit touching each other and dialling say 111 accidentally, (e.g. wires from poles on a windy day) which would have been the more logical number to choose for an emergency number - with 999 and a rotary dial phone, there is the advantage that you are showing true commitment to requiring an emergency service.

Those of a certain age, and a misspent youth may remember circumventing rotary dial-phone phone locks by tapping out the number to call on the hook button when pulse dialling was prevalent.

I have no explanation, excuse or defence for the quaint system of variable length area codes and subscriber numbers in the UK.

Joe

dicko

Reaction score
Apart from internal "short numbers", internationally I believe only Brampton extension with 4 digits have a length of areacode+ subscriber number different from "the rest" , this is the only exception I add to UK dialing. Maybe I am wrong however :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.