Alexa for PIAF (or Asterisk)

globalweb01

Reaction score
Alexa has the ability to place calls. Since Google has pulled 3rd Party support for Chat/Voice/Hangouts why not look into Alexa integration with PIAF. Not only could it do some cool stuff like IVRs, but you could get a trunk for free domestic calling too. It can call any PSTN number in the USA or Canada. I know of one Alexa SIP implementation (https://siplexa.com/) which is great, and free. But, because it is not an "officially recognized device", it doesn't have the ability to make calls. Admittedly, I have never tried it with an account that I have an official Alexa device linked to. Anyway, food for thought.

billsimon

Reaction score
I'm not really seeing the value in turning Alexa into a SIP trunk , but can definitely see the value in turning an Echo device into an Asterisk endpoint, if it can be done easily.

The building blocks are there: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/alexa-rtcsessioncontroller.html

I built a proof of concept a couple months ago and it was very complicated. "If it can be done easily" is not currently the case.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@globalweb01 said "But, because it is not an "officially recognized device", it doesn't have the ability to make calls. Admittedly, I have never tried it with an account that I have an official Alexa device linked to. Anyway, food for thought."

Can't make calls even with a registered Amazon account. So... it doesn't add much value to a PBX unless you don't already have an Echo device.

Can't stream radio stations either.

Last edited:
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.