I HAVE A DREAM Alexa Endpoint

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I have a client that wants to have a few speakers for VoIP paging, and they are frickin more expensive (multiple times) that buying a speakerphone and leaving it hanging on a wall or desk that can be used. Looking at my desk, I see my Alexa, and I like its speaker, and its got WIFI and I assume some SIP in it.

Has anyone heard of or have any idea how to turn an Alexa Dot into an endpoint with auto-answer, so that when a page is done, that the Alexa can be one of the endpoints listed and act accordingly? $49 (on sale $29) certainly beats paying over $300 for a SIP speaker.

TirsoJRP

Reaction score
You pretty much pay because you don't want to deal with alternatives. Me? I would get a cheap ip phone with speaker and hook it to my office amp. I did it for a while with a softphone with auto-answer, tough of adding it to a raspberry speaker output.

Now that I think about it... the RPi should use the audio output as a paging speaker... Ward, I will be bothering you really soon.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I might use a PI zeroW with ekiga (or any other voip client) set to autoanswer, double side taped to the back of bluetooth speakers with a microphone and a 3.5 mm input are perhaps $35 each on ebay Oontz ? Perhaps $50 each and very loud.

Last edited:

TirsoJRP

Reaction score
I might use a PI zeroW with ekiga (or any other voip client) set to autoanswer, double side taped to the back of bluetooth speakers with a microphone and a 3.5 mm input are perhaps $35 each on ebay Oontz ? Perhaps $50 each and very loud.

I have an oontz angle 3, It has plenty of power for a speaker phone. Keep in mind that you will need the speaker, a rpi zw, sd card, a good power supply... at this point a real phone sounds like a better option, even a cheap android device should be able to handle it.

dicko

Reaction score
Last edited:

dicko

Reaction score
So I actually tried it, with a pi zerow, linphone-nogtk, and bluez it works very well, there is room enough inside a oontz, and if you are not scared of multimeters, screwdivers and a soldering iron it works perfectly with pjsip on your system with two of them i believe it will scale well to more.

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
@dicko, I just bought the exact pieces from Amazon you recommended. Never used a Pi, which OS / setup do you recommend for it and which softphone would you use to make this new sip bluetooth pi speaker setup work.

dicko

Reaction score
Start with NOOBS, choose OSMC, it makes it easy to setup the bluetooth , I suggest linphonec/linephonecsh for the softphone, because it's easily scriptable and you really don't want a GUI running on Pi Zero ;-) the tricky bit is getting the linephonerc right, i would do the whole linephonec bit on a desktop, start with the gui then make sure linephonec/linphonecsh are working properly then copy that linphonerc to the pi.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Hey @dicko I installed flatpak, but then when I execute "flatpak --user install --from https://linphone.org/flagpak/linphone.flatpakref" the reply I get is:

error: no such branch 'app/com.belledonnecommunications.linphone/arm/4.1.1 in repository summary

Is there a different repository I should use to get this accomplished?

dicko

Reaction score
Well apart from the sed 's/flagpak/flatpak/' i'm not sure I understand it's use here,

apt-get install linphone-*

should get you there.

My eyes are old and my soldering iron is big, so if you ever find +5v after the on/off switch on the motherboard, send me a photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.