FYI Adding HAAST Clustering to Kennonsoft GUI

Reaction score
I have a question about adding to/modifying the distributed iPBX/PIAF code base. Here's the background: we create an Asterisk clustering / high availability product (HAAst) that we are making work with iPBX and PIAF. It would be ideal if iPBX/PIAF could detect the presence of our product and just add the necessary administration icon to the iPBX/PIAF admin menu. Since the clustering product is available in free (and commercial) editions this should fit with the non-commercial nature of the iPBX/PIAF distro. However I understand if this isn't desireable - in which case we'll try to automate this in our products's own installer.

In case it is ok, how would I go about making the change and rolling it into the distributed base? The change is very simple: one change is in the file /var/www/html/welcome/.htindex.cfg by adding this line on the end:

Code:
4,haast,http://$host/haast/,High Availability<br/>for Asterisk,ico_haast.png

and the other is adding the attached file ico_haast.png to the /var/www/html/welcome directory.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ico_haast.png
    ico_haast.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 5

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's a very interesting product and will be appealing to many with commercial deployments. However, with solutions like this, I think you're better off integrating it into the Kennonsoft GUI as part of your installation procedure.

Reaction score
Ok will do. It looks like the same Kennonsoft GUI file & config structure is shared between iPBX and PIAF. So we'll add the above to our installation procedure.

Interestingly, we have a huge number of free edition installations of HAAst. We didn't think that many home/soho users would need or want clustering / high availability but they seem to. There is probably something we don't yet understand about the home/soho market...other than free stuff is always cool.

On the other side of the market we have had PIAF compatibility inquiries for fairly large installations. That's motivating us to ease integration of our two products. At this point we see integration points as:
  1. Kennonsoft GUI
  2. Status bash script
  3. iPBX PHP system information pages
The first (1) seems straight forward. The second (2) is concerning because there are so many variations of the script we would have to test for (as you pointed out in another message) and maintain. The third we are still investigating but I suspect we'll face the same challenges as #2.

It would be nice if there were hooks / an api for extending the iPBX/PIAF product without modifying the code. This is FreePBX's current approach and eases integration for 3rd party products like ours. Just a suggestion :) (in case this api/hook already exists I'll eat my words and edit this message so I don't look stupid)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Michelle Dupuis: I wish we had an API, but it's one of those trade-offs with a small staff: more features quicker or a slick API to ease integration woes. Unfortunately, the landscape of the Linux operating systems and Asterisk change so frequently that maintaining an API would be a full-time job, and there just aren't sufficient bodies (or brains) to handle it.

Kennonsoft GUI integration is probably all you need for a product such as HAAst. We'd love to write it up on Nerd Vittles when you're ready to roll the PIAF and Incredible PBX versions out. THANKS!!!

Reaction score
I think you're right - we may leave it at Kennonsoft GUI integration for now. We just finished that level of PIAF integration with our HAAst and SecAst products this morning and now have them available on our web site for download. If more commercial clients want PIAF integration then we will probably build a couple of pages to integrate with the left navigation of the PIAF/iPBX web interface, and the status pages.

If you want to do a write up on HAAst + PIAF on Nerd Vittles that would be terrific! Just message me on the PIAF web site conversation/inbox and I can provide any details and assistance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.