FOOD FOR THOUGHT ACN Iris 3000 Videophone

Joshoa

Reaction score
Hi all.
I discovered some interesting thing to share.
One of my IRIS3000 got broken.
It was the [SDA1] version - rootfs is on 128MB embedded USB flashdrive.
After spending some time i found that the flash IC is dead - it loose all the date written on it after reset/power cycle.
But luckly, i had a SD-CARD of 128MB in size. I made a [dd] direct clone to it and put it in to the phone.
I edited REDBOOT script line from [... root=/dev/sda1 ...] to [...root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ...].
But no luck, the phone was still dead.
After some brainstorming i decide to look for serial console, which i knew was there.
I was able to find it out, see the photo attached.
After some additional investigation i found out that everything was OK - it was just the typical race condition.
Kernel was initializing SD/MMC interface slower then attempting to mount it as root.
One more parameter to REDBOOT script and it worked like a charm:
[exec -w 2 -b 0x100000 -l 0x200000 -c "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=ext3 rootdelay=10 init=linuxrc ip=none fec_mac=00:04:9f:00:82:4c video=mxcfb:TV-NTSC"]

Black - GND
Yellow - RX (From IRIS to PC)
Red - TX (From PC to IRIS)

serial_console-ed.jpg

J

Jarrek

Reaction score
I got 5 of these IRIS 3000 phones. Hacked (with some help from Joshoa) all of them so that I can connect them to any provider.

They have their quirks (random reboots, fuzzy reception, etc). But considering I picked up all phones for around $80, it was a good deal.

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm another world inhabitant that is spending some time trying to revive two old and abandoned ACN Iris 3000! Actually I'm living in Italy and this is my first post on this forum!

So, at first, I've to say a big "Thank you" to Joshoa for all the informations shared here!

There be something I'm missing... I've read almost everything I've found in this eight pages, both versions of PDF manual written by Iris3000, and a lot of various documentation.
I've learned how to correctly dump my Iris Jffs2 MTD partition to a file and to mount it inside a Linux machine (I'm still not able to modify it and create the new image file...).
I've tried every procedure found here with success, working with "LiveCd", entering RedBoot, changing kernel (tried both, the Umec and the Unbranded), and update both phones via SD or Live CD NFS.
And I've also learned a lot playing with scripts inside "SLTP" files.

But... I still have a problem with gaining access to my phones over telnet or Ssh.
If I connect my phones to my regular LAN, providing them a working internet connection, and I update them with the standard "1+#" procedure from the official server, I'm able to access them via telnet or Ssh, but the software version doesn't have the Web Configuration Tool.
If I update them using the latest SD from Joshoa or the latest LiveCd Image, I'm not able to regain access trough telnet or Ssh and the phone "Administration" menu is not even working.

Any suggestion?!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. It seems that this forum is the only source of useful information about the ACN Iris 3000 in the whole web! ;)

Reaction score
Hi all!
If there is someone still interested in those Iris 3000: here an update!

I was encountering problems with ssh connections even with the Acn original firmware (phone updated installing 0.2.54 from Acn server), but, with the original one I was at least able to connect via telnet.

Trying with the "-vv" ssh option and doing a research over internet about results displayed, I've found a similar problem encountered with some old router...
So, I've not really understood why, but all my problems are correlated with use of "ssh" directly from a textual linux console (I was trying from the live-cd command prompt and from another linux pc).
The only solution that I've found as "working" is to connect to Iris3000 ssh port 7022 with "putty". Success!

I've finally reached the goal of entering the Web Configuration Tool of the v20 firmware!

Now... I'm still studying every kind of documentation about creating a new "rootfs" from scratch for this harware, with the idea of installing a os like debian and playing with the MX27...
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the procedures described online are obsolete or files are missing.
If someone has already done some experiment and is willing to give some tip... please feel welcome! ;)

Best wishes!

Andrea.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
My reading of the posts in this thread said to me even if you able to unlock it, that the 3000 isn't too reliable even with upgraded firmware. So it might not be worth expending a great deal of effort. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Maybe you are right... always depends from personal point of view.
In 2010/2011 I was in Australia and I used my two Iris 3000 to call home daily (in Italy) for six month, without encountering any issue, avoiding to talk about issues with ACN provider... the only reason why I've not used any more my phones.

Ok, it's not the best you can get in the market but... having these two phones lying abandoned in my cellar without any use... I don't know...

Playing a little with this kind of hardware is also a way to learn a lot, even if they are now not so reliable or not fully compatible with current Voip service providers.
I can admit that, before starting my "investigation", I had no idea of what "RedBoot" was!
And now, only few days after, I've learned how to deal with Jfss2 and a lot of other "linux stuff"...

From this point of view: learning new things, I think that spending a little of my free time over these old phones is not totally a waste of time! ;)

Gavsta AU

Reaction score
Does anyone have a full step by step guide how to do this, so much information here, it has confused the heck out of me... Can i send my IRIS 3000 to some one smarter than me to get it (hacked) for me???

Carlos Neves

Reaction score
Does anyone have a full step by step guide how to do this, so much information here, it has confused the heck out of me... Can i send my IRIS 3000 to some one smarter than me to get it (hacked) for me???

Hi there... its very simple... First go to this link (http://www.techidiots.net/notes/iris-3000), just download livecd.iso, and burn it. Second, start your computer with the cd you prepare previously. Third, connect your phone to your computer (ethernet/wan), power your equipment while pressing 1 plus cardinal... just wait... you will see a logo with restoring information in your phone screen, and after an red bar rolling... then it reboots itself. First fase done... You Hacked your phone... Then, just say something... i can provide more instructions!

Gavsta AU

Reaction score
Ok i have downloaded the iso, i have ran it on my pc. i have ubuntu@ubuntu"~$ on the screen, do i need to enter anything??

Carlos Neves

Reaction score
Ok i have downloaded the iso, i have ran it on my pc. i have ubuntu@ubuntu"~$ on the screen, do i need to enter anything??

No... just use it like a "server"...
Now proceed with previous instructions... "...Third, connect your phone to your computer (ethernet/wan)..."

The_Dackler

Reaction score
I connected to the live cd via Ethernet. I then rebooted the system with '1+0+*+#'. The phone communicated with the "server/live cd". Now I have some new settings!! Unfortunately, I don't know where to go from here. Should I try to ssh into the system now to edit the config file?

Sip server: proxy.server
Phone number:
Ip: 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask:
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 8.15.12.5
Mac: xxxxxx
Version: 20.9.37

KKlouzal

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for this forum thread! I picked up an ACN IRIS-3000 from a thrift shop and was able to make the darn thing boot up and get into shell as root.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, I'm trying to get this phone working with Asterisk and Google Voice.

What files can I edit now that I've gained root shell access? I noticed the DNS servers are hard coded and the LAN port on the phone makes some private stub network. Can the DNS servers be changed and the LAN/WAN port turned into a pass-through?

Bart

Reaction score
I guess no one has figured out how to repurpose these phones yet? Not a quality phone but cheap

Pierre F.

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for this forum thread! I picked up an ACN IRIS-3000 from a thrift shop and was able to make the darn thing boot up and get into shell as root.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, I'm trying to get this phone working with Asterisk and Google Voice.

What files can I edit now that I've gained root shell access? I noticed the DNS servers are hard coded and the LAN port on the phone makes some private stub network. Can the DNS servers be changed and the LAN/WAN port turned into a pass-through?
Hi KKlouzal,
Did you ever figure out that last part?

I flashed it with the LiveCD, can SSH into the phone and got into the web interface of the Iris 3000. There, I changed:
- the DNS servers to my router and OpenNIC as secondary.
- the VoIP config as described in https://www.techidiots.net/notes/iris-3000/downloads/Iris300s notes.txt/view

However, upon restarting it, the phone is not registering. Checking in asterisk CLI in debug mode, I see no communication whatsoever being made on the server.

Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre F.

Reaction score
For those who might have the same problem, the step that I had missing was to go edit the /tmp/tmp_config.conf file after ssh'ing into the phone to change the manually set dns values.

commiejim

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with the WG4K / Iris 5000? I got two of them off eBay thinking they were 3000's but when I unpacked them I realized they were the 5000's. I'm about to poke around on them and see what I can come up with, but was wondering if the Iris-3000 live CD would work with the 5000?

Joshoa

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with the WG4K / Iris 5000? I got two of them off eBay thinking they were 3000's but when I unpacked them I realized they were the 5000's. I'm about to poke around on them and see what I can come up with, but was wondering if the Iris-3000 live CD would work with the 5000?

Hi
I don`t think that Iris3000 live-cd will work on Iris5000 - those are 2 different systems i believe.
Unfortunately all of the phones i had to deal with were 3000 model, so i now nothing about 5000
Try nmap on it`s IP and post result, may be there will be some common enterances.

J

i5000

Reaction score
Hi
I don`t think that Iris3000 live-cd will work on Iris5000 - those are 2 different systems i believe.
Unfortunately all of the phones i had to deal with were 3000 model, so i now nothing about 5000
Try nmap on it`s IP and post result, may be there will be some common enterances.

J
Remote Operating System Detection
Used port: 49152/tcp (open)
Used port: 5060/tcp (closed)
OS match: Linux 2.6.16 - 2.6.28 (92%)
OS match: HP Brocade 4Gb SAN switch or (89%)
OS match: Linux 2.6.15 - 2.6.26 (likely embedded) (89%)
OS match: Blue Coat Director (Linux 2.6.10) (88%)
OS match: Linux 2.6.9 - 2.6.27 (88%)
OS match: DD-WRT v24-presp2 (Linux 2.6.34) (87%)
OS match: Linux 2.4.20 (87%)
OS match: Linux 2.6.24 (87%)
OS match: Logitech Alert 750i camera (Linux 2.6.18) (87%)
OS match: Sony Bravia HX720-series TV (86%)

2222 tcp open tcpwrapped syn-ack
49152 tcp open tcpwrapped syn-ack

Skeley

Reaction score
There are a few more open ports than that.

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2

Nmap scan report for 192.168.200.1
Host is up (0.0074s latency).
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open http
81/tcp open hosts2-ns
111/tcp open rpcbind
443/tcp open https
2222/tcp open EtherNet/IP-1
5900/tcp open vnc
8080/tcp open http-proxy
49152/tcp open unknown

I have a few of the 5000's and I have found a serial pin on the board with gnd and 3.3v vcc but not sure how to figure out rx and tx
any help would be great.

i5000

Reaction score
Datasheet
TMS320DM8168 (ACTIVE)

DaVinci Digital Media Processor

http://www.ti.com/product/TMS320DM8168/technicaldocuments

http://10.0.0.52:8080/resource/AppWeb/login.esp
functional?

I then rebooted the system with '1+0+*+#'. Functional?
Sorry English very bad wrote.

Sorry

datasheet procesor SM320DM6446-HIREL
- HiRel DaVinci Digital Media System-on-Chip - Hi-Rel
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/sm320dm6446-hirel

datesheet memory
LCMX01200C3TN144C
Lattice Semiconductor Corp.
http://www.datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/download.php?id=682111

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.