FOOD FOR THOUGHT ACN Iris 3000 Videophone

lee01

Reaction score
My thanks to Joshoa et al for the HW1 image. I'm just a basic user but I was able to put that firmware on an Iris 3000 and unlock it from ACN's if that's the right term. I've just a couple of questions that might also help others on my newbie level:
1. I bought the phone cheap, before the firmware change I was able to get non-video incoming calls on the standard ACN SIP or VoIP settings although could not make outgoing calls (presumably because no credit on the ACN VoIP account). What I don't understand is how my SIM router that has an RJ11 phone jack got incoming calls to the Iris 3000, but I could not make outgoing calls with the Iris 3000 ?
2. I have the HW1 20.9.37 firmware, I'm wondering whether I can reinstate the function of incoming calls via the SIM router without a VoIP account?
3. Is there a way to set the Iris 3000 so that it makes outgoing calls without a VoIP (obviously not video calls but ordinary ones) ? I'd be perfectly happy with using it as a normal phone via my SIM card router, but I don't know how to reinstate the possibility for incoming calls again and never had outgoing calls possible.
I assume I need to login via my PC on the same network and make some changes to files to achieve these things - I can probably do that if I know what needs to be changed.

Thank you.

Acebeace

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I got Iris 3000 but not able to ssh via putty. Getting "Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection".

Very old (from 2014) Alpine image with "ssh [email protected] -p 7022" cause "Connection closed by 192.168.10.9" with no info...
Web interface password is unknown
RedBlock and LiveCD method finished but ssh still not working.
Factory reset via 7517517 is working but ssh stil not.

Did any one can advise how to fix ssh or obtain web password to provide different SIP configuration?

Regards

Acebeace

Reaction score
@Acebeace perhaps if you take the time to read through this whole thread, you'll find some answers.
The problem is I read thread twice before register and post the question. All people here report to use ssh with no issues, so they able to connect which is not my case. I am able to reset phone via LiveCD as explained here (boot iso in Virtual box and reboot phone with 1+# - Green text and red block are happens. After reboot - still not able to ssh. Even LiveCD ssh report the same: Connection closed by).
Executing ssh -vv didnt give me any error (and my exeprtise is not enough to understand flow with regular debug messages if it not pointed to any error text).. just connection closed.
Would appreciate any hint to mistake I am doing or a suggestion what to try else.

Regards

kenn10

Reaction score
I'd suggest you PM @Joshoa if he is still on this forum. His last comment was in 2018. It appears the general thought is that these phones are difficult or nearly impossible to make work. You can try some of the methods described to load new firmware if you want to continue with that phone. Your issue is discussed in great detail in this thread.

Acebeace

Reaction score
Ok, In case any one else will struggling with ssh problem - I found a solution (not in this thread and solution even didnt mentioned here);

From LiveCD use "ssh -o MACs=hmac-sha1 root@IP -p 7022"

In my case '-o MACs=hmac-sha1' solve connectivity issue. Alpine 3.0 version of ssh still not working but at least I am able connect to the phone from LiveCD.

Regards

Sycroax

Reaction score
Hey guys, about a year and a half ago I made a Hackaday project for anyone wanting to hack their ACN Iris 3000. Everything is laid-out in the project logs. https://hackaday.io/project/176106-hacking-an-iris-3000-videophone. Long story short, was eventually able to get a fully playable DOOM running on the phone, I didn't add this procedure to the project logs however I plan on doing so in the near future when I revisit the project. Btw, I'm glad to see that this thread is still semi-active after 11 years!
7998801609296802234.jpg

Last edited:

ewiemann

Reaction score
Ok, In case any one else will struggling with ssh problem - I found a solution (not in this thread and solution even didnt mentioned here);

From LiveCD use "ssh -o MACs=hmac-sha1 root@IP -p 7022"

In my case '-o MACs=hmac-sha1' solve connectivity issue. Alpine 3.0 version of ssh still not working but at least I am able connect to the phone from LiveCD.

Regards
Or use an old putty version. .052 works fine.

Sycroax

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning a series of updates to my Hackaday project logs (https://hackaday.io/project/176106-hacking-an-iris-3000-videophone), along with demonstrating how to get a other software and games, particularly classics like DOOM, running seamlessly on the Iris 3000. This process should provide an engaging learning experience for fellow enthusiasts.

I also plan on creating a comprehensive public archive, hosted on Github, for the preservation of valuable resources and files related to the ACN Iris 3000. The importance of this is underscored by the necessity to mitigate the increasing disappearance of historical online content due to server errors, data loss, or other unpredictable events. A prime example of this is the significant loss of posts and other data in this very forum thread due to a server crash which happened in 2013. This to my knowledge resulted in the total loss of approximately one and a half years' worth of posts (March 2012 to October 2013), accounting for nearly 80% of the total thread content at the time.

Additionally, there have been instances of critical digital assets becoming inaccessible, such as various live CD builds by user 'Joshoa', Originally hosted on 4shared.com, the links to these builds which were provided by Joshoa years ago are now inactive. These builds were instrumental for un-bricking/recovering Iris 3000 devices and contained critical files such as kernel images, root file systems, and SDA un-bricking/recovery methods. Unfortunately, these live CD builds are no longer retrievable unless someone possesses a backup, thereby underscoring the pressing need for a reliable public archive.

Presently, the only live CD build that remains publicly accessible is hosted on https://www.techidiots.net/notes/iris-3000/downloads, and regrettably, it only supports the un-bricking/recovery of MTD videophones through NFS. Moreover, techidiots.net often goes offline which further encourages me to create a public archive. By creating an archive, it ensures that vital resources are preserved and easily accessible, mitigating the risks associated with online data loss.

Anyway I hope the forthcoming updates to my Hackaday project along with the preservation of various resources and files will be beneficial to those wanting to unlock, tinker, or re-purpose the ACN Iris 3000.

Last edited:

Joshoa

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Long time no see
I still do have all files saved, so nothing had been lost for those years
Unfortunately, I cant host them since my 4shared account was deleted long time ago
If someone is interested in getting any of it or host it somewhere accessible - ping me

J

Sycroax

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Long time no see
I still do have all files saved, so nothing had been lost for those years
Unfortunately, I cant host them since my 4shared account was deleted long time ago
If someone is interested in getting any of it or host it somewhere accessible - ping me

J
I'm very much interested, Just sent you a PM. Glad to know that you still have all the files and that they are not lost after-all. This will definitely be beneficial to my on going preservation of resources and files related to this device.

ewiemann

Reaction score
I would love to see more software for this device. I have 2 Iris 3000 I want to tinker with.

Sycroax

Reaction score
I would love to see more software for this device. I have 2 Iris 3000 I want to tinker with.
By following my hackaday project, you'll find that it's relatively easy to get software running on the device. Any graphical software such as X11 requires access to the framebuffer device (/dev/fb0). They way I got Doom running on the device was pretty straightforward also. I used a fork of Doom called fbDoom which dose not require X11 and uses the framebuffer to display the actual game. I first compiled and installed the dependencies for it, then the actual game itself. I ran the game and it worked flawlessly on the phone. Once I finish updating the logs on my hackaday project I will add a new one which outlines how to set everything up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manne
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.