GOOD NEWS 3CX Lands on Linux with V15 SP2

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
@wardmundy currently testing the free edition, unlimited extensions and 8 simultaneous calls

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Pretty sweet, isn't it. Today we'll be testing we've implemented the Simonics GV gateway for free calling. It won't support 8 simultaneous calls, but it will handle 2 or maybe 3 if you're lucky. :cowboy:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Setting Up a Simonics SIP to GV Gateway Trunk with 3CX

CjuN5MxWkAAf6iH.jpg

Simonics SIP-to-GV gateway is a non-free SIP gateway to handle Google Voice free calling in the U.S. and Canada for U.S. residents only using GV OAuth 2 authentication. The one-time cost is $4.99 using the Nerd Vittles discount link. Setting up your Simonics SIP trunk on their site takes about a minute.

3CX Trunk Settings

Nothing difficult here either. Create a Generic SIP trunk. For your Simonics credentials, be sure to use the 11-digit GV number in your Authentication ID (with GV prefix!) and your Simonics password. Use your 10-digit GV number for Main Trunk Number:

Cu5A9xOWYAA5O3K.jpg

Outbound Route Settings

The trick here is you want to support both 11-digit dialing (1NXXNXXXXXX) and 10-digit dialing (NXXNXXXXXX) so we need to set up two outbound routes. For the 11-digit route (OutGV11), just specify that the route should handle 11-digit calls and send them to your Generic SIP Trunk. For the 10-digit route (OutGV10), set it up to handle 10-digit calls, prepend a 1 to the dialed number, and then send them to your Generic SIP Trunk. If you plan to support international calling with Google Voice (not free), you can add additional outbound routes specifying allowable dialing prefixes to meet your own requirements.

Cu5BRHsWIAEAEbP.jpg

Inbound Route Settings

This is straight-forward as well. Create a new GVin inbound route making sure to specify the 10-digit GV number as the DID and telling the route where to send the calls. In our example, we sent the calls to the default 000 extension.

Cu5Bf6_WIAANzAF.jpg

Last edited:

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Just loaded 3CX on a minimal Cloud@Cost Debian 8 platform, and I'm surprised at just how zippy the menus load. The installation was pretty painless, as was the application for a free license.

This is probably too soon to say, but with the free version supporting 15 devices and 8 simultaneous calls, it might turn out to be a reasonable alternative for a home or small business. I'm anxious to find out if their 3CX softphone will be able to populate the BLF buttons to monitor the presence of other extensions, and calls on hold. Back to the sandbox...

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Just loaded 3CX on a minimal Cloud@Cost Debian 8 platform, and I'm surprised at just how zippy the menus load. The installation was pretty painless, as was the application for a free license.

This is probably too soon to say, but with the free version supporting 15 devices and 8 simultaneous calls, it might turn out to be a reasonable alternative for a home or small business. I'm anxious to find out if their 3CX softphone will be able to populate the BLF buttons to monitor the presence of other extensions, and calls on hold. Back to the sandbox...

10gb ssd, 512mb ram, 1cpu?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
For a quick comparison of which features are available with the free versus paid versions, see this link.
Is the feature matrix is correct - no parking, no intercom, no reporting on the free version?

Is there at least a way to experiment with the non-free features?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just call one of the hundreds of resellers. I'm sure they'd be happy to demo any feature you'd like to review. Or take a look at the documentation.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
10gb ssd, 512mb ram, 1cpu?

Yup, that's the one. It's their most basic server offering.

Once I had the Debian 8 (64 bit) server installed, it only took minutes to PUTTY in, and install the 3CX PBX software. That part was pretty brain-dead. Going through their GUI will take a bit of reading, but so far is very intuitive. My only observation so far, is that this is a U.K. system, so some of the details may be different if you are more familiar with North American terminology.

@jermm ... I haven't fully explored all of the feature set, but I believe your observation is probably correct. I'm still learning, myself.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

@MGD4me: Took your advice and set up 3CX Debian Free Edition at CloudAtCost ($10.50 with Coupon Code: TAKE70) in about 10 minutes, added a new Google Voice trunk using Simonics SIP gateway ($4.99). And for a total expenditure of $15.49, we've now got a totally free PBX in the Cloud with totally free calls in the U.S. and Canada forever*! Not sure how any SOHO business owner in the U.S. could not find that compelling with a commercial PBX organization standing behind the product.

* YMMV :cool:

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
installed, currently working out which ports need to be open, the free lets encrypt ssl certificate and fqdn is a nice touch

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
installed, currently working out which ports need to be open, the free lets encrypt ssl certificate and fqdn is a nice touch
Code:
3CX needs these ports to work.
5060 TCP UDP  - SIP
5061 TCP - S SIP
5090 TCP UDP - 3CX Tunnel Protocol
5015 - TCP (temp configuration)
22 TCP - SSH
80 443 / 5000 5001 (HTTP/HTTPS Port Pairs) (These are the most commonly used)
9000-9500 UDP - Audio ports

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Is the feature matrix is correct - no parking, no intercom, no reporting on the free version?

Is there at least a way to experiment with the non-free features?

I setup a Debain server on Google Compute and install the free Linux version of 3CX and it has parking & reports.

Gary.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
(I was just forced to "ignore" user (?) 3CX due to the dozens of posts that appeared between last night and right now. Rather spammy...)

I do use and rather like an older version of the 3CX windows desktop client

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
(I was just forced to "ignore" user (?) 3CX due to the dozens of posts that appeared between last night and right now. Rather spammy...)

I do use and rather like an older version of the 3CX windows desktop client

The 3CX RSS Feed was added which, of course, meant that all of their existing content got gobbled up by XenForo at once with no way to turn it off. It happened as we added each of the other RSS Feeds as well, but it's a one-time problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.