1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOOD NEWS 3CX Lands on Linux with V15 SP2

Discussion in 'Today's Tech News & Events' started by hecatae, Oct 14, 2016.

1. da1Bear

da1Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Guru

l am a long time 3cx reseller. While I am just getting the linux version setup, I'm told it's virtually identical to the Windows version. You'll love it.

wardmundy likes this.
  2. drgeoff

drgeoff
    Expand Collapse

Nice simple, clean user interface but two issues quickly became apparent for my home use.

1. Only one SIP trunk in the free edition.
    2. No support for time or day based outbound routeing. (My telco package here in the UK includes free calls over the PSTN line at weekends.)

Looks like I won't be migrating from my current PIAF FreePBX setup which is configured to give automatic selection:

a. Calls to UK landline numbers, Sat and Sun, via OBi110 and PSTN line
    b. Calls to UK toll free numbers via OBi110 and PSTN line
    c. Calls to UK landlines Mon-Fri via VoIP provider #1
    d. Calls to UK mobiles via VoIP provider #1
    e. Calls to US and Canada via GoogleVoice
    f. Calls to other international destinations via VoIP provider #2
    g. Calls to Skype/Hangouts via VoiP provider #3 (ippi)

(And not going through the PBX at all are free calls over the OBiTALK network to and from an OBi100 in Japan.)

Not complaining, just pointing out that 3cx won't fit the bill for everyone.

#22 drgeoff, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    wardmundy likes this.
  3. tycho

tycho
    Expand Collapse
    Guru (not...)

Agreed. I was a single-person business before I retired and I didn't have one VoIP device with only a single trunk. My primary PBX has 8-12 trunks, all serving different purposes and all selectable. My cloud instances have several. My PAP2T registers to 2 providers (or two PBXes), and even my Obi100 has 7 providers/trunks.

4. wardmundy

wardmundy
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd Uno

@tycho: One simple workaround is to use one or more OBi 200's to register up to 3 providers (each) including Google Voice plus registering each OBi trunk to a 3CX extension. This uses one of the available 4 OBi trunks but does not use your 3CX trunk at all so you still can use it for another provider. So that gives you 4 trunks with the addition of one OBi 200.

Point the OBi to the AutoAttendant (AA) for incoming calls made to the 3CX/OBi extension, and you can use the complete OBi dialplan to make outbound calls. If your OBi is behind a firewall, configure the AutoAttendant with no password. Then the easiest way to redirect incoming calls to the AutoAttendant is to add a "Trusted Caller" for each of your 3CX extensions:

[​IMG]

Now you have what you're looking for plus free faxing support at a cost of under $50.

[​IMG]
    If you're new to the OBi universe, the way the outgoing calls would work goes like this. From a 3CX extension, dial 001 (in the sample setup above) to reach the OBi. The OBi AutoAttendant will answer. Press 2 to place an outside call (or 1 to connect to phone connected directly to OBi). To send the call out the default route on the OBi (usually SP1), just dial the number and #. To send the call out one of the other OBi trunks, dial the access code (below) followed by the number and #.

[​IMG]

For incoming calls to trunks registered to the OBi, the easiest way to route them to your 3CX server is to forward the calls directly from the trunk provider to the default 3CX DID. For example, with Google Voice trunks, specify the 3CX DID as one of your forwarding phone numbers in Google Voice settings. The same forwarding functionality is available with almost all other providers as well. Any phone connected directly to the OBi device will still ring as well.

Get any OBi for your friends on the other side of the globe and make free calls back and forth forever. :idea:

NOTE: The above has been modified since my initial post. I had almost forgotten how to use an OBi. My apologies.

We've barely scratched the surface with the OBi. If you purchase the $20 OBi Bluetooth Adapter, you can pair everything to your cellphone as well and use it as the incoming and outgoing trunk for your calls. Nerd Vittles tutorial covered this many moons ago. I had to go back and reread it myself. :rolleyes: Or you can add the $35 OBiLINE adapter and connect a MaBell PSTN line.

@drgeoff: The time/day routing limitation is something I'm sure @Nick Galea and @Nicky will want to consider.

#24 wardmundy, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    tycho and wintek like this.
  5. jrglass

jrglass
    Expand Collapse
    Guru

What is the difference between the two unit?

#25 jrglass, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  6. wardmundy

wardmundy
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd Uno

The most important one is the 202 supports two simultaneous outbound or incoming calls.

7. drgeoff

drgeoff
    Expand Collapse

Not strictly accurate.
    They both support multiple simultaneous calls. The 202 can have 2 analogue phones plugged in to it and have separate calls on each of them. The 200 has a single phone port.

eg the following can happen at the same time.
    1. a call in progress between a plugged in phone and a caller or callee.
    2. a call with a caller or callee that has been placed on hold.
    (or a variation of the above two is a 3 way call in which the OBi is the star point)
    3. a '2-leg' call bridged by the OBi, eg one leg on a SIP VoIP provider or GV and the other leg on the OBiTALK network. One use of that is to give GV access to a friend (with an OBi device) outside the US.
    4. with the optional USB OBiLINE adaptor, a call to or from a POTS/PSTN line routed from or to another extension on a SIP PBX.

The same firmware is used in both the OBi200 and the OBi202. Both of them can support multiple simultaneous calls on one VoIP provider account if the provider permits that.

wardmundy likes this.
  8. tycho

tycho
    Expand Collapse
    Guru (not...)

Thanks much, @wardmundy. As mentioned, I do have an Obi100 (not a 200), but I don't immediately see anything about your write-up that would preclude the 200-centric approach from being backwards-compatible. Including the gateways, I have 7 providers on that machine at the moment. I'll investigate...

wardmundy likes this.
  9. peterbata

peterbata
    Expand Collapse

Followed Ward's instructions on "Setting Up a Simonics SIP to GV Gateway Trunk with 3CX"

and

Installing 3CX on Debian Linux located here:

http://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/installation-linux/

I was able to successfully make incoming & outgoing calls using my GV number through Bill Simons service. Wonderful.

All this on a Debian 64bit server that I created at CloudatCost.

1 CPU:

512MB RAM:

10GB SSD

wardmundy likes this.