PIONEERS 2014: Adiós MySQL, Hola Maria

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
mariadb-200x63.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-who-fedora-and-opensuse-will-replace-mysql-with-mariadb-7000010640/

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Cool. Kind of scary to think to replace a major piece with another. I bet people wouldn't be so scared if it was called MySQL+ or something of the sort.
Is PIAF team playing with it and will it provide any performance enhancements from it? Doesn't some Asterisk folks have a distaste for MySQL because of some issues they've encountered, and will MariaDB resolve those items?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Cool. Kind of scary to think to replace a major piece with another. I bet people wouldn't be so scared if it was called MySQL+ or something of the sort.
Is PIAF team playing with it and will it provide any performance enhancements from it? Doesn't some Asterisk folks have a distaste for MySQL because of some issues they've encountered, and will MariaDB resolve those items?

Start by reading here.

Choose CentOS 32-bit, CentOS 64-bit, Debian (RasPi), or Ubuntu (BBB) flavor here.

And you're off...

p.s. Might not want to test on your production system just yet. :online2long:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We're I'm behind the times... :oops:

Here was my first crack at getting This gets MariaDB installed to replace MySQL on new CentOS 6.5 (32-bit) platform. VMs are available on SourceForge.

The attached script supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. The code below is 32-bit only code!

WARNING: There are no guarantees that MariaDB will be a 100% drop-in replacement for MySQL. If you run the attached script or the code below on PIAF systems prior to 2.0.6.5.0, make sure you add the following line in the [mysqld] section of /etc/my.cnf before you install MariaDB:
Code:
default_storage_engine = MYISAM

When finished, seems to work and phpMyAdmin finds everything even though status doesn't recognize that MariaDB is running as a MySQL replacement (obviously)...

Code:
amportal stop
service mysqld stop
rpm -e mysql-server
rpm -e mysql-devel
rpm -e libdbi-dbd-mysql
rpm -e mysql
cd /etc/yum.repos.d
echo "[mariadb]" > mariadb.repo
echo "name = MariaDB" >> mariadb.repo
echo "baseurl = http://yum.mariadb.org/10.0/centos6-x86" >> mariadb.repo
echo "gpgkey=https://yum.mariadb.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-MariaDB" >> mariadb.repo
echo "gpgcheck=1" >> mariadb.repo
wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi.repo
yum --enablerepo=remi-test --disablerepo=remi install compat-mysql55
yum install MariaDB* php-mysql
yum install libdbi-dbd-mysql
service mysql start
amportal start
chkconfig --add mysql
mysql_upgrade -uroot -ppassw0rd
touch /etc/pbx/.mariadb

Attachments

• mariadb-install.tar.gz
    1.7 KB · Views: 1

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
geeze ward be gentle with me.... I have been playing with maria since it was announced and am still working on it. The good thing is until we have it locked down we can keep using mysql as I have started to compile a piaf version of mysql and will put it into our repo for when Centos/redhat pulls it out. It is still there and might stay until centos 6.6. I think we will be able to offer an alternative when we initially set up PIAF during the configuration portion and give people the *option* of choosing either mysql or maria. Thus solving the whole controversy.

never dull

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This is just an experiment. Just playing. Certainly not ready for prime time. No controversy intended. Sorry.

peterbata

Reaction score
I find it odd that an attempt to download the Windows 32 and / or 64 bit binaries takes you to an invalid link.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Used PostgreSQL extensively in another life. It's terrific, but... that would not be a drop-in replacement. :arabia:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.