PIONEERS $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you liked the IBM PC Jr., then this project is for you!

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
To get things working, you'll need an existing Incredible PBX build from a RasPi 2 or 3. BEFORE moving the microSD card to the RasPi Jr., do the following:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
nano -w /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Insert your WiFi credentials in Step #3. Then reboot and make sure everything works including WiFi.

Halt the RasPi 2 or 3, move the microSD card to the RasPi Jr. Plug in the keyboard and monitor. Then power it on. Done.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Once everything is working, you can remove the HDMI monitor and keyboard assuming you know the IP address of the device to regain remote access.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

Verified: http://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless.html

If you're just getting started, go for the Starter Kit which has everything you need in one package.

C7IxNXtWkAAWGoV.jpg

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
C7E5xweW4AEYa4z.jpg

New Incredible PBX build directly supporting Pi Zero W is available now on SourceForge. This means you can do complete setup on Pi Zero W without using a RasPi 2 or 3.

This build also includes new second generation Travelin' Man 3 firewall which lets you permanently whitelist IP addresses from remote sites using PortKnocker.

Code:
1.  Download incrediblepbx13-raspbian8-oauth.zip (with GV OAuth and Fax)
2.  unzip incrediblepbx13-raspbian8-oauth.zip
3.  Burn .img file of your choice to a microSD card
    (Tutorial for Mac, Linux, Windows here)
4.  Boot new SDcard image from Raspberry Pi Zero W
5.  From display/keyboard connected to Raspberry Pi,
    login as pi with password: raspberry (CAN'T USE SSH yet 'cause there's no network)
6.  Go through the automatic setup procedure and resize SD card
7.  For Pi Zero W, you must enable WiFi access now before proceeding
    (Edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and insert WiFi credentials)
8.  After reboot, use SSH/Putty to login to RasPi, login as root with default password: password
9.  Complete setup steps by resetting your passwords when prompted
10. Optionally, install Incredible Fax: /root/incrediblefax13_raspi3.sh

OLD TUTORIAL (w/o above mods) TO GET YOU STARTED: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=21255

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
In case you're wondering, quality of Google Voice calls and TTS with Incredible PBX sample apps over WiFi is perfectly fine. You'd never know it wasn't a "real" computer. If you want to try it out, PM me and I'll provide a number for you. This is a new GV number set up after the latest Google Voice Gotcha so Google Talk is still alive and well... so far.

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
In case you're wondering, quality of Google Voice calls and TTS with Incredible PBX sample apps over WiFi is perfectly fine. You'd never know it wasn't a "real" computer. If you want to try it out, PM me and I'll provide a number for you. This is a new GV number set up after the latest Google Voice Gotcha so Google Talk is still alive and well... so far.

what percentage would you give if verse the Pogo Plug v4 vs Pi Zero?

Pogo Plug, slow buggy, phone calls at times choppy and use a lot of internet horrible... experaince
Pi Zero? not sure yet not try this

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

Pogo Plug, slow buggy, phone calls at times choppy and use a lot of internet horrible... experaince

I've sent you a phone number to try for yourself. I haven't observed the choppy sound that you describe.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score

The only time I have experienced what you describe is occasionally at the very beginning of VMs left on my PogoMobile (or Dockstar). I chalk that up to manipulating and recording the audio stream on a cheap thumbdrive with an 800 MHz (Pogo) or 1.2 GHz (Dockstar) ARM5 processor. During calls both -- for me -- are perfectly smooth...

Last edited:

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
I've sent you a phone number to try for yourself. I haven't observed the choppy sound that you describe.
the performance & quality sounds fantastic!

time to retire the pogoplug!

it's amazing how cheap and how small &nd powerful this chip is.

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
The only time I have experienced what you describe is occasionally at the very beginning of VMs left on my PogoMobile (or Dockstar). I chalk that up to manipulating and recording the audio stream on a cheap thumbdrive with an 800 MHz (Pogo) or 1.2 GHz (Dockstar) ARM5 processor. During calls both -- for me -- are perfectly smooth...

really the only issues i had with the pogoplug was it ate to much memory, no fax, i did get it working once but after i reinstalled i could never get it to work again, the voicemail system sometimes wont let it leave messages and i cant Upload sounds/audio and choppy quility times as the memory seemed low, i had to turn off a lot of things to get more memory.

all in all it is a good device but it had its moments but this Pi Zero OMGosh... the sound and speed is amazing.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We have fax working great on the Pi Zero W. Details coming next week to Nerd Vittles.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.