PIONEERS $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
Today, the company unveiled its latest programmable computing board, the Raspberry Pi Zero, and it costs just $5 (£4).

With its Broadcom BCM2835 application processor (1GHz ARM11 core), 512MB of RAM, a microSD card slot, a mini-HDMI socket supporting 1080p (at 60 frames per second), micro-USB sockets and an identical pin layout to its larger Pi siblings, the Zero can do plenty of heavy lifting, despite its tiny size.

For context: at 65mm x 30mm, it's smaller than a credit card and has 40-percent faster chip than the first ever Pi.

While the Zero isn't going to match its counterparts in the computing stakes, its makers say that it can still run Raspbian, a version of Linux that has been optimized for Raspberry Pi, and apps like Scratch, Minecraft and Sonic Pi. There are no standard USB or ethernet ports, so you will need to buy a powered USB hub to connect peripherals and networking. If you already own a Raspberry Pi board, the Foundation recommends that you set up your microSD card on that first and then port it over to the Zero.

The Raspberry Pi Zero is already on sale in the UK and the US at all the usual places. Many outlets are bundling microSD cards and adapters for the miniHDMI and microUSB ports to allow the use of standard cables and devices, taking the cost up slightly. But if you've been looking for an excuse to take on a new DIY computing project, Raspberry Pi just made sure that cost is no longer a barrier.

*now, i wounder if we can pbx this bad boy

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Cool. No on-board networking limits it's appeal for my uses. Someone's probably cooking up a $5 a low-profile micro-usb wireless adapter to pair with it.

Last edited:

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
Cool. No on-board networking limits it's appeal for my uses. Someone's probably cooking up a $5 a low-profile micro-usb wireless adapter to pair with it.
i though that too but its a Pi.... so i am sure .... your right

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
Stay tuned for Nerd Vittles tutorial to walk you through putting all the pieces together. :chef:
i smell a great project a foot..... i cant wait to see what people do to this and how they build it to be super cool

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
i cant wait to see what people do to this and how they build it to be super cool

Yes, I can see physically placing this board inside the case of a router. It's got a 5 Volt supply, and with an added Ethernet interface you could have the long sought-after PBX-in-router some are trying to achieve! Hint-hint...

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
with an added Ethernet interface you could have the long sought-after PBX-in-router some are trying to achieve! Hint-hint...

IMOH a Pogoplug (with built in Gigabit ethernet) is a much more suitable candidate. Having purchased a Raspi 2 and loaded the latest IPBX GUI on it, I wasn't impressed by the assumed boost in speed with the quad core processor. In fact my perception was that the Pogoplug was slightly faster running the FPBX 2.11 shell. Add some router functionality to the Plug via CLI (dhcp server, nat translation, VLAN port assignment, hostapd for wifi AP and comprehensive iptables rules) and use whatever Webmin modules exist to manage as much as possible via a gui interface. A cheap smart manageable VLAN switch sets you back less than $40 so total investment could be as little as $60 here in the States for a very flexible and customizable router with PBX.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Wow, I actually was able to reserve one at the local Microcenter early Thanksgiving morning and I picked it up yesterday. Pictured here next to a AA battery and a Zippo lighter for comparison. Needless to say it's "dinky" :)

PI Zero.jpg

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
Wow, I actually was able to reserve one at the local Microcenter early Thanksgiving morning and I picked it up yesterday. Pictured here next to a AA battery and a Zippo lighter for comparison. Needless to say it's "dinky" :)

View attachment 1960
keep us updated on how it works and how you use and mod it.

jpe

Reaction score
Anyone run PiaF on a Zero yet? Got a few of them the other day, trying to figure what to do with them.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not sure it's worth the effort. Too many missing components.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Anyone run PiaF on a Zero yet? Got a few of them the other day, trying to figure what to do with them.

Have a look here for ideas:

http://dietpi.com/

the dietpi.txt file in the boot partition allows you to set up wireless before you boot, your limitation then is decent wireless connection speeds.

It would be beautiful if PiaF or IncrediblePBX was in the DietPi optimized software selection

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
any updates or progress? on Pi Zero & getting PIAF working or other things

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.