ALERT FusionPBX Security Alert

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I don't know which is worse: a vulnerability in CallerID that compromises your entire call center or a developer that refuses to warn his users about the vulnerability.

In any case, if you are using FusionPBX, now would be a good time to shut it down unless it's been patched.

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
I was considering this for my business infrastructure, but not anymore!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Hmm.... A little bit of a pissing contest it seems. With the potential instability of digium direction ... I think we should keep all resources on the table as possible options.

Mark Crane4 days ago
* We did respond multiple times in email and on github.
* Your email said you were going to write the security announcement and you did.
* We immediately commented out or removed the debug information on operator panel that created the Information disclosure vulnerability.
* We immediately added iptables rules to block SIP messages that have keywords that made the vulnerabilities possible.
* We focused our efforts on improving the security for things you reported and more.
* You sent your first pull request which was accepted 6 days ago. That was delayed because there were additional security concerns that we noticed and fixed. Which then caused a conflict on your changes. You updated your pull request and then they were accepted.
* You have provided companies with additional reasons to upgrade for that we can thank you.
* You did make us aware of a some security vulnerabilities that we did take seriously.
* Your suggestions only represent a small portion of the of the ongoing improvements to security and improvements to other areas of the FusionPBX code base.
* We have accelerated our efforts to make code base more secure.
FusionPBX is an open source project and has operated under limited resources. We have accomplished a lot with these limited resources. However, the project has outgrown the limited resources, so we have adjusted our sustainability model to provide growth of our team and resources. We have created a FusionPBX members ecosystem that is helping us to meet the growth. We are making progress in this regard and this is helping FusionPBX further accelerate improvements to security, support, features and overall to the success of FusionPBX and to the users of our software worldwide.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
He's finally gotten religion, I think. But it was more than 2 months after he knew about (and reportedly fixed) the problem. Choosing a platform is, of course, everyone's decision to make.

KNERD

Reaction score
I don't know which is worse: a vulnerability in CallerID that compromises your entire call center or a developer that refuses to warn his users about the vulnerability.

In any case, if you are using FusionPBX, now would be a good time to shut it down unless it's been patched.

He patched it over this past weekend.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Fusionpbx is a pretty good project. I can look at the code and figure out what is going on quite easily. Also developer friendly.

That is in stark contrast to fpbx which is a bloody mess. It's like "hey, let's see what else we can bolt on to this thing". "All the cool kids are talking about nodejs and mongodb so lets throw that in there because why not. Iptables works great so we need to break that by adding our own firewall to the GUI that fights overrides it and causes more problems than it solves."

And you can't make any changes to anything or add anything unless sng 100% controls it from their end. Otherwise it will display a scary red message. But that didn't go far enough apparently so they rolled their own operating system because reasons.

My only criticism of Fusion is that there should be more effort put into making it more user-friendly. I think there is lots of room for improvement there. But it's not bad once you get to know some of the quirks.

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
And you can't make any changes to anything or add anything unless sng 100% controls it from their end.

This is opposite from my findings. FreePBX provides hooks and custom dialplan and config insertion points all over the place. Using the _custom.conf files, you can do anything, adding on to or overriding the GUI. With FusionPBX, everything is driven by the database. You have to use the front-end for configuration and dial plan. If you try to look at anything from the CLI, it's obfuscated, named with UUIDs rather than the names assigned in the GUI.

That is in stark contrast to fpbx which is a bloody mess. It's like "hey, let's see what else we can bolt on to this thing". "All the cool kids are talking about nodejs and mongodb so lets throw that in there because why not. Iptables works great so we need to break that by adding our own firewall to the GUI that fights overrides it and causes more problems than it solves."
But that didn't go far enough apparently so they rolled their own operating system because reasons.

If you do not require FreePBX commercial modules, then it is very easy to build a lean FreePBX server without the things you dislike, on the Linux distro of your choice. Personally, I go for Debian.

KNERD

Reaction score
Apparently the folks who made Zend Guard have done nothing to it for 3-4 years now. Even the offical forum has not had a posting on it in a year. Because of that, it seems they will be switching to something else. Maybe that will make commercial modules available on all platforms, depending on what they choose (if they have not already).

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Using the _custom.conf files, you can do anything, adding on to or overriding the GUI

If you do not require FreePBX commercial modules, then it is very easy to build a lean FreePBX server without the things you dislike, on the Linux distro of your choice. Personally, I go for Debian.

.With FusionPBX, everything is driven by the database. You have to use the front-end for configuration and dial plan. If you try to look at anything from the CLI, it's obfuscated, named with UUIDs rather than the names assigned in the GUI.

*.conf files are asterisk not fpbx. One in the same company now but two separate things. Fpbx was basically just a *.conf file generator at one time and it was very good at that. But then they tried to throw all that other stuff in there and it turned into a mess imo. You don't have to use the commercial modules but you cannot get rid of that module signature system or the warning messages.

Not sure why the fusion developer chose to use UUID's. I am not a fan of them either.

To troubleshoot dialplans on fusion, it helps to know how to enable debugging.

Code:
vim /usr/local/freeswitch/scripts/app/xml_handler/index.lua

--set the debug options
        debug["params"] = true;
        debug["sql"] = true;
        debug["xml_request"] = true;
        debug["xml_string"] = true;
        debug["cache"] = true;

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
*.conf files are asterisk not fpbx.

Not really following you here... FreePBX generates conf files, and also has #includes to *_custom.conf files so that you can augment the work that FreePBX does with your own Asterisk config. That's what makes FreePBX a very flexible and configurable system. Anything you can't do in the GUI, you can finish the job in the conf files.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Not really following you here... FreePBX generates conf files, and also has #includes to *_custom.conf files so that you can augment the work that FreePBX does with your own Asterisk config. That's what makes FreePBX a very flexible and configurable system. Anything you can't do in the GUI, you can finish the job in the conf files.
Fpbx just generates the files including #includes which are part of the syntax of the Asterisk *.conf system. It is not something fpbx has added to the asterisk file handler system. You do not need fpbx to add those things manually yourself. Fpbx just makes it MUCH more convenient by generate all that for you.

The things I do not like about fpbx do not have anything to do with Asterisk or *.conf files. Ward has talked about a lot of these things over the years. Like the module signature system. I am not sure where he stands on all that nowadays. Go read his blog and comments he has made on this forum about it in the past.

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
As another Debian user , I don't use Commercial modules but I quibble with your

". . .but you cannot get rid of that module signature system or the warning messages. . . ."

Yet you can disable the checking in advanced settings and if needed "delete from notifications" in asterisk mysql table, you are left with a gentle green

"Signature checking is disabled" notice in the Dashboard

Also you CAN say "no *custom.conf files are FreePBX but ALL *.conf files are asterisk". asterisk loads the base.conf files which generally #include the like named 'base_additional.conf' files (FPBX) and also the like named 'base_custom.conf' files (YOURS)

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Q: where are those *.conf files located?
A: in the /etc/asterisk directory, with all the other asterisk .conf files.

You can create files and call them whatever you want. Call it supercalifragalisticexpialidosious.conf if you want. Add the #include and you are done. They are still part of the asterisk *.conf system. It doesn't matter what the name is.

There was a time when you could not disable signature module warnings. I guess you can now.

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the disconnect is here.

Q: where are those *.conf files located?
A: in the /etc/asterisk directory, with all the other asterisk .conf files.

You can create files and call them whatever you want. Call them supercalifragalisticexpialidosious.conf if you want and add the #include in which ever standard asterisk .conf file it needs to be in for asterisk to see it. They are still part of the asterisk *.conf system. It doesn't matter what the name is. Of course if you are using fpbx you would need to put that into one of the custom.conf files otherwise fpbx will overwrite the #include.

There was a time when you could not disable signature module warnings. I guess you can now.

Looking at the GUI it reminds me of another annoying thing they did. Where if you installed fail2ban it would warn you on the dashboard or something like that. Because it had to be THEIR version of fail2ban which was an older version. And it had to be installed with that sysadmin module which they made into a commercial module. I can't remember the exact details of the problem but it was yet another annoying problem they created by trying to take over control of e verything where there was never a problem before.

No FreePBX wont overwite the includes, it will regenerate its own files that include the #includes and it doesnt touch the base files on a reload, but for the following reasons , before you touch the base files . . .

Normally FreePBX will Install its own version of these base files overwriting almost everythiing that

make samples

did , and that decision is not without merit as the distributed examples (make samples) with asterisk wouldn't play nice with FreePBX, but their ones are aware of the results of #include'ing anything anywhere idea that some folks have, even so too many folks are not knowledeable about using exten,priorites or the problem of mis using such,if you dont want to use them build your own base overide .conf files but at least understand how asterisk processes conf files to find the first match in a dialplan.

No sysadmin neede, no problem with fail2ban all the way up to 10, always add pyinotify for noticeable increase in performance, it was well documented and asterisk aware and used way before when they pretended it was their own IDS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.