TIPS Disconnecting call for lack of RTP activity in 31 seconds

JeffM

Reaction score
I am running Incredible PBX 13-13.7 for Raspberry PI 3B+, and Skyetel is my provider.

A user was in a phone call and all of a sudden she could not hear the other end. This is the message that I found in the FreePBX "full" log:

[2019-04-08 16:49:59] NOTICE[1924] chan_sip.c: Disconnecting call 'SIP/Skyetel-1-000003cb' for lack of RTP activity in 31 seconds

There has been intermittent audio issues on inbound and outbound calls as well. I have ports 10000-20000 forwarded to the Incredible PBX IP.

What should I be looking into to resolve this.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
In SIP settings play around with the RTP Keepalive and timeout values (try matching them, and make them 3600 or something like that)
In other sip settings add session-timers = refuse

Generally this can be a NAT issue on the firewall (by chance a Sonicwall?) but these settings can work around with it.

You may need to change the UDP timeout values to something higher than 30 seconds on the firewall configuration, and make sure your SIP ALG is disabled.

JeffM

Reaction score
@atsak

I was able to implement the settings changes that you suggested, with the exception of session-timers=refuse as I overlooked that while I was on-site. I will take care of that on Friday.

The router in use is an Ubiquiti Edge Router X, and I verified that SIP ALG was disabled (seemed to be the default). I increased the UDP timeout values to 180 seconds.

On the Asterisk side of things, I increased the RTP Keepalive and timeout values to 3600.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will see how things go over the next few days, since it is an intermittent issue, and I will let you know what happens.

JeffM

Reaction score
@atsak

It has been a week and a half, and these settings seem to be addressing the problem. There was one inbound audio level issue, but it could have been on the caller's end. This system is for my wife's small business, so the intermittent audio was really frustrating for her. Thanks for your help on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.