GOOD NEWS HiFormance Alternatives

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Do you automate the secondary server to restore every night from the backup of the primary server?

That's the plan: nightly backup of primary PBX and restore to secondary PBX coupled with hourly (or more often) rsync sessions from the primary during the day to sync up voicemails. The secondary server is always on line.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I would suggest rsync'ing all of the /var/spool/asterisk/ directory to catch recordings also , if using avantfax , then also the appropriate hylafax and avantfax directories, mysql dumping and restoring the avantfax database also helps.

Personally I use rsnapshot , which uses rsync and space-saving hardlinks, I can effectively do all the above at convenient times , especially if using a third off-site location as a point of arbitration between both systems. The off-line will restore the rsnapshots off the on-line one. I just script the restore from the on-line one if off-line. Kind of like an asynchronous drdb/glusterfs without the headaches of a "splitting ;-)"-headache.

Also there is a series of restore points available for either machines if anything goes south. Just set the rsnapshot cronjobs with a reasonable offset between the two devices, and exclude "tmp" files from the rsnapshotting

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I would suggest rsync'ing all of the /var/spool/asterisk/ directory to catch recordings also , if using avantfax , then also the appropriate hylafax and avantfax directories, mysql dumping and restoring the avantfax database also helps.

Good idea. Draft tutorial amended. Thanks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've now tested DCNHost VPS $11.99.yr offering. Similar performance (i.e. lousy) to SparkVPS. Typical 15 minute OpenVZ install is now past the one-hour mark and it's less than half finished.

Also no vswap enabled. Might wanna skip this one, too.

Download: 439.67 Mbit/s
Upload: 240.64 Mbit/s

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The adventure continues...
Code:
We've attempted to use your OpenVZ platform. However, the performance simply isn't adequate for our needs. Compared to other LowEndBox offerings for comparable OpenVZ platforms, we're observing about 20% or less of the typical performance metrics. An install of our platform that typically take 20 minutes has already passed the one hour mark and is less than half finished. Thought you would want to know. Sorry for the disappointing news.

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 (09:43)
Yessina Lester
Staff
Hello,

We recommend you to switch to KVM server which have dedicated resources and which can provide you better performance than the openvz server.

--
Regards,
Yessina L. | Technical Support

DCNHost.com

Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 (13:37)
Ward Mundy
Client
We prefer to cancel the VPS and obtain a refund as advertised on your site. Thank you.
Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 (08:27)
Ward Mundy
Client

Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 (13:39)
Yessina Lester
Staff
Hello,

As your inquiry pertains to a sales, billing, or admin related matter, please hold on as I escalate this to the respective team to assist you further. Please note that their availability may vary and is not a 24x7 department.

Thank you for your patience.

--
Regards,

DCNHost.com

Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 (15:47)
Howard Salvador
Staff
Hi,

If you wish to use the KVM server means I can give you a one month free on it. So, please confirm with the KVM plan which you need and I will give one month free on that.

--
Regards,
Howard S. | Billing

DCNHost.com

Thursday, March 7th, 2019 (03:54)
Ward Mundy
Client
Not interested in KVM. Just a refund. Thanks.

Hello,

As your inquiry pertains to a sales, billing, or admin related matter, please hold on as I escalate this to the respective team to assist you further. Please note that their availability may vary and is not a 24x7 department.

Thank you for your patience.

--
Regards,

DCNHost.com

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Testing new high performance offering with DDoS protection from Upbeat Hosting in New York @ $29/year:
Code:
4GB VPS

4x 3.40 GHz CPU Cores
70 GB HDD Storage (RAID-10 Protected)
4 GB Dedicated RAM
5000 GB Monthly Bandwidth
1000Mbps Network Uplink
OpenVZ/SolusVM Control Panel
Instant Deployment
Full Root / Administrator Access
DDoS Protected Network

Avoid this one like the plague. Awful performance. Awful customer service. General impression: awful.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here are the results from our testing of recommended providers this week (* indicates that free 1Gbit port upgrade must be requested referencing LowEndBox offer):

HostedSimply* - 2GB RAM, 25GB SSD, 5TB BW (865Mb/DN 609Mb/UP) $15/year
HostFlyte - 1GB RAM, 30GB SSD, 2TB BW (936Mb/DN 796Mb/UP) $15/year
Hosting73 - 1.5GB RAM, 25GB SSD, 2TB BW (908Mb/DN 902Mb/UP) $14/year
HostBRZ - 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD, 3TB bandwidth (598Mb/DN 125Mb/UP) $15/year
SnowVPS - 1GB RAM, 15GB SSD, 2TB BW (342Mb/DN 27Mb/UP) $12/year
AlphaRacks - 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1.5TB BW (98Mb/DN 94Mb/UP) $10.50/year

KNERD

Reaction score
We recommend you to switch to KVM server which have dedicated resources and which can provide you better performance than the openvz server

Are they serious? OpenVZ uses less resources overall, thus provides better performance results. If you get performance issues it is because they are putting too many customers on the server.

KNERD

Reaction score
Here are the results from our testing of recommended providers this week (* indicates that free 1Gbit port upgrade must be requested referencing LowEndBox offer):

HostedSimply* - 2GB RAM, 25GB SSD, 5TB BW (865Mb/DN 609Mb/UP) $15/year
HostFlyte - 1GB RAM, 30GB SSD, 2TB BW (936Mb/DN 796Mb/UP) $15/year
Hosting73 - 1.5GB RAM, 25GB SSD, 2TB BW (908Mb/DN 902Mb/UP) $14/year
HostBRZ - 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD, 3TB bandwidth (598Mb/DN 125Mb/UP) $15/year
SnowVPS - 1GB RAM, 15GB SSD, 2TB BW (342Mb/DN 27Mb/UP) $12/year
AlphaRacks - 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1.5TB BW (98Mb/DN 94Mb/UP) $10.50/year

Are those bandwidth from reported, or testing?

KNERD

Reaction score
Oh thanks. Those are some good results on some. Some places will say 1GB port, but then have a caveat about 100MB speeds

Eliad

Reaction score
I am installing IncrediblePBX on OVH. I noted on the OVH dashboard i have an option to enable firewall. I know IncrediblePBX has a strong firewall enabled. Do I need to enable OVH firewall too? If i do which ports do I need to open, my guess would be 5060, any other?

KNERD

Reaction score
I am installing IncrediblePBX on OVH. I noted on the OVH dashboard i have an option to enable firewall. I know IncrediblePBX has a strong firewall enabled. Do I need to enable OVH firewall too? If i do which ports do I need to open, my guess would be 5060, any other?

The system uses fail2ban in conjunction with IP Tables. So no, do not enable it.

KNERD

Reaction score
I was about the tell you to remove HostedSimply, but after I sent in a ticket saying I have had enough of the server/host constantly going down randomly, nothing getting done about it, and I was ready to jump ship, they finally did something. The server has been stable for over two weeks now.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
These are ALL Bleeding Edge Providers. You just bleed more with some than with others. :death:

KNERD

Reaction score
Maybe you should be keeping Digital Ocean at the top? I mean since it was designed for devlopers so you can easily create and destroy a virtual machine. You only get charged so the time the machine is up and running, and you can upload custom images. Just throw some credit on your account, then up and away, They have many machine types, and always coming up with new stuff. On their bloq about introducing high-end performance CPU virtual machines, I half joked in their comment section about using them for mining bitcoin. They did not seem to care about that at all.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.