FOOD FOR THOUGHT Migration from Pi2 to Pi3 B+

Joe Foster

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been running IncrediblePBX for quite a few years on a Raspberry Pi 2 (currently running FreePBX 2.11.0.41). I just got a Pi3 B+ and I've downloaded the new incrediblepbx13-raspbian8-gvsip file.

Can someone please direct me to a tutorial on how to migrate from the Pi2 to the Pi3 B+, so I can keep all my myriad settings intact? I have many DIDs, many extensions, multiple IVMs, SMTP, SIP hardware, etc. It took me years to set it all up properly, and because I'm not uber-knowledgeable about Linux and VOIP I'm worried about the migration.

Thanks!

dhoppy

Reaction score
Not an expert, but the way I've done it in the past is to export from the old system the extensions to a CSV, and then import the CSV into the new system. It is kind of tedious, you have to move your data from the old CSV into the CSV format that the new system will accept. Then do the same thing with your other settings (DIDs, trunks, etc). You can copy and paste your recordings from one system to the other.

This is the reason I've been looking at Wazo, because it can upgrade between versions easier, from what I understand.

Joe Foster

Reaction score
Thanks dhoppy - I figured something like this would be an option, so it's definitely good to get that confirmed. Where in the FreePBX menu can I find the .csv export functionality?
Does anyone out there know of a more streamlined migration solution, where I can export all my settings to a single file, and import that file into the new system?

dhoppy

Reaction score
It is under "Bulk Extensions" in the Applications menu.

Joe Foster

Reaction score
I don't have that option in my Applications menu.
I'm guessing I'll have to upgrade my software just to get that option.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Bulk Handler module didn't come along until FreePBX 13 so you'll need to cut-and-paste one last time. Then you should be in better shape moving forward from 13.

Just curious. Is there some reason you need to migrate from your current software? If not, you may be able to move the microSD card to the RasPi 3B+. It'll let you know if there are hardware incompatibilities. I simply can't remember. You also may be able to upgrade the RasPi OS on your current hardware and then move the microSD card to the 3B+ without losing your data. Take a look at this article:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/update-your-raspberry-pi-to-raspbian-pixel-for-fancy-new-features/

FYI: apt-get update AND apt-get dist-upgrade should be sufficient.

Last edited:

Joe Foster

Reaction score
I'm actually migrating my business numbers to the Pi3B+, and keeping my personal numbers on the Pi2 - so it will only be a partial migration. This is because the business load is getting bigger, and also because I want to use a different gmail address for business notifications than for personal notifications, and apparently sSMTP only works with one email address per VOIP server.

Thanks for the info, Ward, I'll look that over before moving forward!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.