ALERT GVSIP Is Dead, was: GVSIP Registration Issues. Asterisk 13.23.0 Seems To Fix The Problem.

AgentJeffy

Reaction score
I think my confusion was that I wasn't doing that portion of it. I was only doing post #64 or the one you just posted. I didn't realize it had to be done in order. Once I did them both in order it seemed to work, and I needed to execute BOTH commands before doing the amportal restart.

At least that's my takeaway from this experience, not entirely sure though.

Reaction score
Guys,

It is time to move on. GVSIP is dead as Google treats it as violation of TOS. See details here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32190324-

Here is a relevant quote:

WM: I assume there is no interest on Google's end to support any open source (standards-based) Google Voice solution at this juncture. Correct?

AW: Not at this time. I will let you know if that changes.

Too bad, I have enjoyed the robustness and security since 2009.

-Vladimir

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Moral of this story, Bill Simon found a way, it was clever but ultimately defeated. , NAF found a way, also inventive , but it was quickly defeated , Google rightly says that they don't want to give you free stuff for free if you abuse it, It is their TOS, and to me fully understandable.

Come on guys and girls at home, is $5 a month really worth this angst? You can get a magic Jack for $3 a month, add a $20 Chinese ATA and still get shitty service, You could add a home type Vitelity service with hundreds of minutes a month for a pittance, and it would just work (there are other providers of course, equally economical)

You might save ? hours and ? grey hairs :) and that number will always work!!

If you are "small business" , I would suggest you just don't go cheap on your access to/from the big world

Last edited:

ajonate

Reaction score
It is time to move on. GVSIP is dead as Google treats it as violation of TOS.

Here is the highlighted portion of the TOS.

"Do not modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Google Voice Service."

Not to pick nits here, but the letter of the TOS discusses doing things TO Google Voice service. We're don't modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer anything with Google Voice service. Their service has not been changed by us in any way. We're only changing what we DO with Google Voice service once it reaches us. There is nothing in the TOS that forbids porting Google Voice service to a PBX, or for that matter doing anything else that we want with their service.

But the fact that we might not be violating Google's TOS is moot. We don't pay for their service so they can do what they want, and we have no realistic recourse. They are always free to stop service at any time, even without notice. They can also cut off some users and not others if they want to. So the fact that they don't want Asterisk users using their service is actually a bigger deal than their TOS.

I have depended on my Google Voice number for 8 years now and I don't want to lose it. I'll comply with Google Voice for that reason.

Last edited:

Kimberly

Reaction score
Actually, GVSIP is not dead; not until Google makes a change and we can't just download an update. However, Google cannot legally keep you from publishing HOW to do something. What they can prevent is Ward and others from providing a ready made script and distribute it. Actually, the current ToS of Google does not prevent what GVSIP does as was pointed out by another member; however, Google is free to change the ToS any time they want to. What Google does is scare everyone because they can, they have billions of dollars to just CRUSH anyone they want with the legal system. If you want to continue using Asterisk with GVSIP, you will have to learn how to do it on your own. Many will do so that has the knowledge but they won't share it on an open forum.

Personally, given the direction that Google has moved in, I wish the company would crash and burn, it is an evil company that is now helping COMMUNIST (it seems that our politicians have forgotten that) China to track and spy on their citizens all in the name of more money.

Kimberly

Reaction score
Google does make money with Google Voice in several ways. I don't know if they make more with the service than they pay in termination fees or not but it is not a free service. Google does not give anything away for free without some means of making money on it. If Google was not making any money and just losing money on GV, it would have been terminated along with all the other things they have terminated over the years. The only thing would be that Google would have to allow all users to port their number out; that is federal law.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ejrubin
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.