FOOD FOR THOUGHT Can You Assign a Sip Trunk to One Line/User for Wazo 17.14

Merlin

Reaction score
So apparently I'm an idiot and did not understand that Xivo does not assign a sip trunk to a user or line. It merely gives them access to the established sip trunks, which each user can choose what provider to utilize by dialing a code and then the telephone number.

Now it's easy to avoid having to type in the code when setting up the first trunk because you simply enter, "NXXNXXXXXX" and a stripnum value of 0 in Outgoing Calls>Provider name>Exten. But how do you assign a specific sip trunk to a user/line without making that person always dial a 2 digit code and then the telephone number for other sip trunks? The logic behind it is that each user is associated with one line. Now that part makes sense, but where is the logic behind not being able to assign a line to a sip trunk? I just don't get it right now.

Let's say that I have the following sip trunks.

Anveo Direct Toll Free number (not setup yet)
Anveo Direct Local number (not setup yet)
1 Google Voice number (tested and working as of today). Assigned,"48NXXNXXXXXX" with a stripnum value of 2. Works perfectly with the exception of having to dial 48 anytime that I want to make a call. Entering 48 in Prefix does nothing and causes outgoing calls to not work unless I still dial the 2 digit code first. No idea what the purpose of that section is for.

I know that I can easily route any incoming call to many different places. That's awesome!

Am I missing something or is there no way to assign a sip trunk to a specific line/user?

Thanks.

billsimon

Reaction score
In a typical PBX environment, the SIP trunks are shared by the users. The trunk is selected based on cost or reliability criteria, for example. (I might have a low cost primary trunk and a higher cost secondary that is only used when the primary is unavailable.)

You can do one-for-one user to trunk routing by using the caller ID (extension number) as part of the routing criteria.

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
I can do even better with this response. I have a tutorial on the forums which links to a video that shows how to set up multi-tenant. The concept is, each tenant is in their own context. Each context includes their own sub-contexts, trunks, users, lines, voicemail, etc. Context A and Context B are separate from each other, and can't call each other unless Context A and Context B are sub-contexts of each other.

Hope you'll be able to find it. It's already gotten a fair number of views.

Merlin

Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks. I found Kyle's tutorial and it helped out a lot. I wasn't quite sure how to set things up based on Bill's recommendation, but I do appreciate the feedback.

Merlin

Reaction score
In a typical PBX environment, the SIP trunks are shared by the users. The trunk is selected based on cost or reliability criteria, for example. (I might have a low cost primary trunk and a higher cost secondary that is only used when the primary is unavailable.)

You can do one-for-one user to trunk routing by using the caller ID (extension number) as part of the routing criteria.

Would you be kind enough to share an example of what you mean? Are you referencing the "Extern prefix" area or somewhere else?

billsimon

Reaction score
Would you be kind enough to share an example of what you mean? Are you referencing the "Extern prefix" area or somewhere else?

I was speaking of a concept that exists generally in Asterisk and should thus be doable in Wazo, but I don't have a Wazo box up and don't have enough experience with it to tell you off the top of my head exactly how to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.