GOOD NEWS Google Voice Working Sometimes

NerfHerder

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick’s Day everybody! I’m having an unusual problem with Google Voice that I’m hoping somebody has seen and knows what to do.

I’ve installed Incredible PBX 13.13 on a Raspberry Pi 3 using Ward’s guide here: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=21255. I’ve applied all the updates and added my GV account using Ward’s guide to create OAuth 2 credentials. In my inbound routes, I’ve created a route that sends all calls from GV to a single extension. Outbound calls are working fine and at first, it appeared all inbound calls were working as well.

Here’s the weird part: sometimes calls coming in from GV work perfectly and when I answer the call, the person is there. Sometimes, when I answer the call, nobody's there and the caller continues to hear ringing until the call goes to Google voicemail. The only pattern I found with the issue is when I make a test call from my cell phone to my GV number, if the second ring I hear on my cell phone is in sync with the ringing of my desk phone, the call will work. If the rings are out of sync, the call will go to Google voicemail.

To make sure it wasn’t something I did wrong, I reload my Pi from scratch a second time and after applying updates, configured only GV and an inbound route, and still had the problem.

Thanks in advance.

billsimon

Reaction score
There have been reports to me (Google Voice Gateway) and on the Obihai forum of problems with Google Voice inbound in the last few days. A participant in the Obi and Google Voice forums named Steve who seems to have connections with Google has reported the problem and apparently "it's being looked into."

NerfHerder

Reaction score
There have been reports to me (Google Voice Gateway) and on the Obihai forum of problems with Google Voice inbound in the last few days. A participant in the Obi and Google Voice forums named Steve who seems to have connections with Google has reported the problem and apparently "it's being looked into."
Thanks for the reply Bill. Do you have links to the forums where the issue is being talked about?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@billsimon: Outbound GV calls appear to work fine. Using the Simonics GV/SIP gateway, we see "Failed to authenticate device" errors on incoming GV calls.

Placing an outbound call to GV using a new Asterisk A22 SIP phone actually caused the phone to reset. Could be coincidence, but we've never seen it before. And we've done extensive testing of the phone this past month.

billsimon

Reaction score
@billsimon: Outbound GV calls appear to work fine. Using the Simonics GV/SIP gateway, we see "Failed to authenticate device" errors on incoming GV calls.

That's a different problem. Registration/peer not matching up in Asterisk. Is this with your VitalPBX testing? I recommend that you tie them together by registering to the peer name (can probably translate the Asterisk/FreePBX instructions found in our knowledge base into VitalPBX fields). And/or enable match_auth_username so that you can auth incoming calls.

Placing an outbound call to GV using a new Asterisk A22 SIP phone actually caused the phone to reset. Could be coincidence, but we've never seen it before. And we've done extensive testing of the phone this past month.

That's a new one to me!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That's a different problem. Registration/peer not matching up in Asterisk. Is this with your VitalPBX testing? I recommend that you tie them together by registering to the peer name (can probably translate the Asterisk/FreePBX instructions found in our knowledge base into VitalPBX fields). And/or enable match_auth_username so that you can auth incoming calls.

That's a new one to me!

Right you were. Forgot to fill in the From User field. Thanks for the tip. :willy nilly:

MDF247

Reaction score
I just set up my very first Google Voice/3CX/Google Cloud/Yealink SIP-T23G conglomeration on Saturday. Using Simonics.

I'm honestly not sure how I got anything working except for good, clear, tutorials. :) I freely admit I hardly understand how it all works together yet.

Anyway, outbound calls work perfectly, but I can not get inbound calls to ring to the Yealink. I've gone through all the information I can dig up on the subject and am wondering if I just happened to do this right when the issue on this thread cropped up, or if I am mis-configured somehow.

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
Steve / Blues Cat reports that Google has fixed the problem and users are confirming.

NerfHerder

Reaction score
Success! I made several inbound and outbound calls and all succeeded. Thanks Bill, Steve, and Blues Cat!

billsimon

Reaction score
Success! I made several inbound and outbound calls and all succeeded. Thanks Bill, Steve, and Blues Cat!
Steve == Blues Cat, and as for me, I had no part in it other than to wait around with everyone else until Google got around to troubleshooting and fixing the problem. But you're welcome, anyway. :)

Merlin

Reaction score
Is your Gvoice message picking up for you if you don't answer the phone? I have to reset asterisk once a day in order to get my Gvoice number to ring my Grandstream or Zoiper, and it doesn't go to voicemail, which is very odd. I'm not using Simonics, but I might have to go that route instead.

NerfHerder

Reaction score
Is your Gvoice message picking up for you if you don't answer the phone? I have to reset asterisk once a day in order to get my Gvoice number to ring my Grandstream or Zoiper, and it doesn't go to voicemail, which is very odd. I'm not using Simonics, but I might have to go that route instead.
I have an extension on my Incredible PBX server that records voicemails if no one answers after 20 seconds. If my PBX is down, GV will answer the call after 30 seconds (I think) and record the voicemail. On the extension that records voicemails, I have a Cisco SPA504G and it works perfectly. I've never had to reset Asterisk.

Merlin

Reaction score
I have an extension on my Incredible PBX server that records voicemails if no one answers after 20 seconds. If my PBX is down, GV will answer the call after 30 seconds (I think) and record the voicemail. On the extension that records voicemails, I have a Cisco SPA504G and it works perfectly. I've never had to reset Asterisk.

That's good to hear because I'm still having issues using my Grandstream phone. All other SIP's work great except for GV. I'm gonna switch back to simonics and see what happens.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I'm gonna switch back to simonics and see what happens.

I have zero problems using the Simonics Gateway. Some time ago, during a prior GV snafu, I took my Obi100 (now running the "naf7" firmware) off native GV and redirected it to Simonics. Smooth sailing ever since. Some potential issues are of no concern for me because I use analog phone (line 1)>Obi100>Simonics exclusively for outbound, and GV>Callcentric Free DID>spare PAP2T>analog phone (line 2) for all inbound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.