SOLVED Registration Timeout for Warm Spare

rjm

Guru
Reaction score
I am working on creating a warm spare to give me some redundancy for my main pbx. Each night, the backup server takes a backup of the main server. That is working properly.

When main pbx is down, if the phone is power cycled, it picks up the backup server with no issues.

The trunks appear to be also moving correctly.

But I would like the transfer to backup to happen automatically. That is where I am stuck presently. The phone must be rebooted to register at the backup (in the event of main failure) or main (in the event main is then available again).

Here is how I have the phones set up:
upload_2017-2-18_8-3-0.png

I think that the issue is registration timeouts, which I do not understand clearly. I set the phone to expire the registration in 5 minutes, but it does not seem to time out after 5 minutes.

I am wondering if I must unregister before new registration (I did not try this yet):

upload_2017-2-18_8-4-25.png

(I know that accounts don't match, the snips are from two different phones, but on the test they are both on the same account)

What I think should be happening (would like to happen) is that after 5 minutes, the phone will retry registration, find the main server down, fail, and register to the backup. Then reverse this when the main becomes available again.

At least in a perfect world that is what happens. Unfortunately, my world is not perfect and I am clearly doing something wrong.

Is the issue on the pbx side? Would I take minexpiry down to 3 and maxexpiry to 5 with default at 5? Do I need to change registerattempts to 3 or something?:

upload_2017-2-18_8-5-17.png

rjm

Guru
Reaction score
I now see where I screwed this up so if you are facing the same issue, I did use the unregister option. Further, my SRV record was configured using sip.um....com so I added that to the sip server configuration. Now the phone flips back and forth the way I want it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.