TIPS XiVO Phone Setup

TomS

Guru
Reaction score
I have loaded 32-bit XiVO on my old Everex and installed IncrediblePBX on it.
This is to be able to take it for a spin.

Questions: Sorry for so many questions.

1. I created extensions 701-704 with associated lines. In the Services - IPBX - Lines selection I show all 4 lines with there appropriate line numbers. Only one is registered and it is the YATE on the PC I am using on the same system that I use to SSH in with putty. None of the lines show that they are associated with a device (green phone). They all are red phone symbols. Am I miss understanding the meaning of the GREEN phone icon? I am not able to get either my Aastra 9840i, Aastra 55i, or my Polycom 430 phones to register.

2. I have a Polycom 331 from a class I went to but it cannot have a password that is NOT numeric. I was able to stop the password checking in the FreePBX modules so that I could set the password to a numeric value. Is there a place in XiVO where you can actually set the login and password credentials for a telephone set? and if there is how can you update the values to your own needs?

3. I tried to find the extension credentials in the /etc/asterisk config files but no luck. Where are they stored? Are they only available in the Postgress DB?

4. I wanted to add some dialplan code for the '*65' what is your extension and I have multiple scripts that require dial plan statements like
-- Your server name is
-- Your external IP address is (great for a changing ISP IP address)
-- Pinging an IP address by entering it into the telephone (shows access to an external IP)

5. How do you STOP iptables? I know that you need to use iptables-restart to start it up so that the URL lookups are done correctly. 'service iptables stop' you get 'Failed to stop iptables.service: Unit iptables.service not loaded. 'iptables -nL' shows a long list of rules. I did stop fail2ban with '/etc/init.d/fail2ban stop'.

Thanks
TomS
[email protected]

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
1. Have you actually associated a phone with a line in IPBX Settings.Devices? This isn't required. You can simply insert the Line credentials on the phone, and it should register.

2. @Sylvain Boily will have to answer this one. There is no way in the XiVO GUI to change the Line password... at least that I have found.

3. Also one for @Sylvain Boily. This is a RealTime Asterisk system and most important settings are stored in PostGres DB.

4. Very easy to do. In the GUI, got to IPBX Configuration.Configuration Files and take a look at some of the existing files and contexts. xivo-extrafeatures.conf is a good place to start. It's very similar to extensions_custom.conf in FreePBX.

5. /etc/init.d/netfilter-persistent stop

TomS

Guru
Reaction score
2. Have you check http://documentation.xivo.io/en/stable/system/configuration_files.html#ipbx-ini

3. Yes but there is also an API : api.xivo.io -> xivo-confd -> extensions[/QUOT
2. Have you check http://documentation.xivo.io/en/stable/system/configuration_files.html#ipbx-ini

3. Yes but there is also an API : api.xivo.io -> xivo-confd -> extensions

Thanks Ward and Sylvain for the quick updates - you must be up all night!
I will investigate what you have sent me and post additional info/

Thanks
TomS
[email protected]

TomS

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Ward and Sylvain for the quick updates - you must be up all night!
I will investigate what you have sent me and post additional info/

Thanks
TomS
[email protected]

I have been trying different copies of XiVO:
1. 32-bit on Everex with IncrediblePBX
2. VirtualBox version on new Dell Inspirion 3647
But I seem to have the same problems with my VoIP phones.

When I tried the last version of FreePBX/Incredible for the RPi-3,
I could not get the external phones to work either.
When I changed the extension setup from PJSIP to Generic SIP all the phones worked.

I just tried it again with 2 separate extensions on the RPi-3 730(PJSIP) and 740(Generic SIP).
I took my Aastra 9480i and setup line 1 to be 730 but it would not register.
I then took line 1 and set it to be 740 and it registers right away.

I have a Cisco ATA-188 and a Linksys 2012 that work with the Generic SIP stack also.

Is XiVO running PJSIP or Generic SIP and is there a setup option per line if this indeed is the problem?

Also, is there an extension line 1234 to call for testing on the XiVO box?
Is there an '*65' extension (Your extension number is)?

BTW: The YATE softphone works just fine on both of the XiVO systems. Maybe it responds to the PJSIP.

Thanks,
TomS
[email protected]

Bart

Reaction score
XIVO does not support PJSIP yet

TomS

Guru
Reaction score
XIVO does not support PJSIP yet

Thanks Bart
That led me to check into the telephone(s) setup:

Polycom 430:
I had to set the ADDRESS field to the same as the AuthUserID and it now registers

Aastra 9480i:
When I set the PHONE NUMBER and CALLER ID to the same as the Authentication Name it now registers

Thanks all for your assistance!
I was still setting those values to the extension number like for use on FreePBX.

BTW:
I created '*65' 'Your extension number is' code after your entries Ward at the bottom of:
xivo-extrafeatures.conf using the 'Configuration files' selection on the XiVO GUI:
I got the agi line from your entries Ward!

Code:
;# // BEGIN Your Extension Number Is
exten => *65,1,Answer
exten => *65,n,Wait(1)
exten => *65,n,Set(CallerIDNum=${CALLERID(num)})
exten => *65,n,agi(picotts.agi,"Your extension number is ",en-US)
exten => *65,n,SayDigits(${CallerIDNum})
exten => *65,n,Wait(2)
exten => *65,n,Hangup
;# // END Your Extension Number Is

Hope this helps others
Thanks again to all,
TomS
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

VaHam

Reaction score
BTW:
I created '*65' 'Your extension number is' code after your entries Ward at the bottom of:
xivo-extrafeatures.conf using the 'Configuration files' selection on the XiVO GUI:
I got the agi line from your entries Ward!

;# // BEGIN Your Extension Number Is (for XiVO)
exten => *65,1,Answer
exten => *65,n,Wait(1)exten => *65,n,Set(CallerIDNum=${CALLERID(num)})
exten => *65,n,SayDigits(${CallerIDNum})exten => *65,n,Wait(2)
exten => *65,n,Hangup

Hope this helps others
Thanks again to all,
TomS
[email protected][/QUOTE]

The above *65 code didn't work for me but the following did.

;# // BEGIN Your Extension Number Is (for XiVO)
exten => *65,1,Answer
exten => *65,n,SayDigits(${CALLERID(num)})
exten => *65,n,Hangup

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It was just missing a couple CRLFs which I've added in the @TomS post above.

Last edited:

TomS

Guru
Reaction score

First thanks Ward for the release on the RPi-3, I have downloaded it and will be testing it soon.
Thanks for the great effort!

Thanks all for your assistance with the SIP.
I am so glad it was my habit of entering the extension number into the same fields as I was taught in the old FreePBX classes and Asterisk Advanced classes in Las Vegas a few years ago.
It was a good exercise and I learned additional items.

Thanks Ward for posting and correcting the cut and paste of the "Your extension is" code.
I also usually do a similar set of code to do 2 different things:
1. Similar code to place in the TTS as an extension to say something that identifies the machine so when you have multiple machines, you can just call an extension and it will let you know if you are on the correct machine.
2. I also used your one liner that gives you the External IP address of the server. That way if your IP is not static and the IP address changes, you can adjust your SSH, etc. accesses.

I have some other utilities that I have written over the years and will be porting them to the XiVO platform in the near future.

It there is any interest, I will test the code out on the XiVO and put it out there too.

Is there an 'echo test' command in XiVO?

Does anyone have a script that will show you the protocol exchange(tree) between the PBX and a VoIP phone that is easy to use?

Thanks All,
TomS
[email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.