PIONEERS XiVO on VirtualBox: No Root Login

wa4zlw

Reaction score
I am installing the XiVO .ISO on W2008 under Hyper-V so far so good during install.....

leon

wa4zlw

Reaction score
so far only issue is when I ssh to XiVO the root password does not work. If I "connect" to the guest from the host the root password works.

also, i noticed the hostname was set to xivo.incrediblepbx.com. what if I don't want that? Shouldn't we be prompted for a FQDN?

thanks leon

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
A couple of times I've seen the "root password does not work" issue. Typically, it's because the IP address signature already is stored in your known_hosts cache and you just didn't get warned. If you edit out the entry, then SSH access is restored.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
thanks ward...what subdir is that in not being a linux guru :)

wa4zlw

Reaction score
ah ok thanks and this is a recycled IP too...makes sense now. too early in morning :)

wa4zlw

Reaction score
windoze keeps it in registry and I yanked them out but still get same login error. Have to get ready for work will look tonight.

Reaction score
Are you sure you did this and it's accurate? Not doing this will produce a password error rather than no access at all.

'
Enabling Root SSH Access
When you install XiVO using the XiVO ISO, root logins via SSH are disabled by default. Only enable it if you plan to also implement the firewall in the next step! To enable root logins via SSH, log into your server console as root and edit the SSH config file: nano -w /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Find the line in the Authentication section that begins with PermitRootLogin and change it to: PermitRootLogin yes. Save your change (Ctrl-X, y, ENTER) and then restart SSH: /etc/init.d/ssh restart'

wa4zlw

Reaction score
Brian - thanks much; no i didnt and now I did!

Leon

wa4zlw

Reaction score
tonight I reinstalled to make sure everything was "kosher". I got ssh working but got this next:

Adjusting hostname to FQDN...
New hostname: xivo.incrediblepbx.com
To continue with installation, press ENTER. Or press Ctrl-C to abort.

Configuring XiVO. Please wait...
Login to web interface as root with web password.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./wizard.py", line 47, in <module>
c.wizard.create(wizard)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xivo_confd_client/commands/wizard.py", line 28, in create
response = self.session.post(url, body, timeout=timeout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xivo_confd_client/session.py", line 70, in post
self.check_response(response, check_response)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xivo_confd_client/session.py", line 47, in check_response
response.raise_for_status()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/models.py", line 825, in raise_for_status
raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 400 Client Error: Input Error - network: {'nameservers': [u'Longer than maximum length 3.']}
Please verify no errors shown above in XiVO configuration step.

To continue with installation, press ENTER. Or press Ctrl-C to abort.

1. I don't want incrediblepbx.com as my domain. How can this be changed during install or after? When i tried to put a FQDN in the webgui the other day it didnt like that.

2. why am I getting a 400 error above?

3. DNS is forced to 8.8.8.8 and NOT set by what is in the DHCP scope. I prefer to have my own DNS per my DHCP. How can we fix this?

4. web login works waiting at web installer.

What should I do next? I've left the CLI just sitting for now.

THanks leon

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you're going to use wizard.py, you've got to set hostnames in the way that wizard.py understands. If you want to do it your own way, then you'll need to skip the wizard.py step and manually configure XiVO through its browser interface which is much more forgiving but considerably more complicated if you don't understand XiVO internals.

HINT: Wandering off the reservation is fine, but... you're kinda on your own once you do it because none of us will be able to figure out what you've changed or skipped in the stock installation process.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
hey ward....i was following the instructions in the article. instead of just forcing that FQDN can't you prompt for it like you do other items? I did not go off the reservation. I reinstalled following the instructions. I noticed last time I seemed to have an error on phase 2 too. I believe wizard.py in phase 1 was not optional? it seems in phase 2 that when we run the incredible script you invoke wizard which already ran. Is there a way in your script to ascertain if the phase 1 script ran?

After the gui wizard ran I went back into the gui config and changed the domain to my domain and did a save and then applied the configuration. on the status page still show default

hey ward....i was following the instructions in the article. instead of just forcing that FQDN can't you prompt for it like you do other items? I did not go off the reservation. I reinstalled following the instructions. I noticed last time I seemed to have an error on phase 2 too. I believe wizard.py in phase 1 was not optional? it seems in phase 2 that when we run the incredible script you invoke wizard which already ran. Is there a way in your script to ascertain if the wizard ran?

after the gui wizard ran i went back into the config and changed the domain to <mydomain> and SAVED and then did a network and system apply. THe status page still shows xivo.incrediblepbx.com not xivo.<mydomain>

xivo.incrediblepbx.com

back in the config on the resolver page the domain is in fact <mydomain>

thanks leon

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit confused about your platform choice AND which Incredible PBX for XiVO article you are following.

We only support the 8 hardware platforms laid out under Hardware Platforms in the main tutorial if you want to use wizard.py. YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE HOSTNAME except as directed in the individual tutorials. No, we can't prompt for the hostname because it breaks the python script and our installer. Once your server is completely built, you can change the hostname in any way you like AFAIK.

Choosing a XiVO Hardware Platform

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.