RECOMMENDATIONS XIVO hardware for SMB office

jchuby

Reaction score
We currently have a PBXinAFlash Asterisk Non XIVO system on intel NUC platform in place, but we've had some issues with it and I would like to move the system to XIVO for some benefits.

I dont want to take my system offline until the new one is up and running.

Any hardware recs for the XIVO system?
Another NUC?

We have 10 phones, 4-5 active calls at once, all Polycom phones.

Thanks

Reaction score
NUC + ESXi

If you'd have put ESXi on there in the first place, you could be running PiaF and XIVO on the same box.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Installing Debian Jessie (XIVO's Linux Distro) on a bare metal NUC was an quite an adventure when I tried. NUCs are surprisingly inconsistent across models with what they require from the OS. Don't try it without easy return privileges.

XIVO inside an ESXi VM on a NUC is a great and flexible solution, even if XIVO is the only VM running.

For ESXi, I'd recommend sticking with one of the NUC6 models listed here: http://www.virten.net/2016/08/which-intel-nuc-to-buy-for-running-esxi-august-2016/

VMware can be done on less expensive and older NUCs, but it usually requires chasing drivers down and building custom install images. NUC6 installs are painless using the latest ESXi images. The time and headache saved is easily worth the extra expense.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I have found that installing ProxMox 4 on NUC's works just fine, all the drivers seem to be there and you have Jessie and full support of virtualization.

Reaction score
I'm curious about ESXi not installing on some NUC models. Not that I have much experience with NUCs (I have one older Celeron version that is my HTPC), but I'd expect that since they all use Intel NICs and standard SATA controllers, ESXi should install with no problems.

Can anyone tell me what specific problems one can run into with ESXi on NUCs?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
The NICS and SATA are not standard or on the ESXI HCL. It varies by NUC model, but generally you need to inject 3rd party drivers into the install image.

Even then it can be hit or miss or quirky. For instance, the current low end celeron/pentium models would install and run once the drivers were in place, but the local console never displayed. The install looks like a failure until you try to connect remotely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.